General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 08:49 PM
FL SPORTSTER
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak

OK Guys!!
I've got an 06 883. The oil leaks out the breather tubes. in the carb and fills up air cleaner and leaks on the engine.

I've got a couple of stories locally. The first comes a repair shop that said thats what sporters do.
The other story is something about the scavenger gear being out of time.

So what's the real skinny on the oil leak?

Old 09-18-2009, 08:57 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb

Don't know anything about Sportsters, but on my Ultra I found that if the oil level is overfull, the breather that routes crankcase vapors to the carburetor/air intake (EFI) will suck some oil to the air cleaner. When the air filter becomes saturated with oil, it will leak out on the floor.

Check your oil level, it could be overfull. On the 96 c.i. engines we put a bit less than the full four quarts of oil in.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:01 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

goodbirds

Don't know anything about Sportsters, but on my Ultra I found that if the oil level is overfull, the breather that routes crankcase vapors to the carburetor/air intake (EFI) will suck some oil to the air cleaner. When the air filter becomes saturated with oil, it will leak out on the floor.

Check your oil level, it could be overfull. On the 96 c.i. engines we put a bit less than the full four quarts of oil in.
.................................................. .................................................. ......................

Yep that's about it, on a Sportster you need to keep the oil level about 1/4 down from full. If there is nothing wrong with your bike that will fix it. I keep mine 1/4 to 1/3 down from full all the time. If I fill it up to the full mark oil will leak out the AC.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:37 AM
FL SPORTSTER
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I've been warned about being to full. I put 3 quarts in during last change. Putting only 2 quarts in doesn't sit right with me, but I'll give it a shot.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:08 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by FL SPORTSTER
Thanks, I've been warned about being to full. I put 3 quarts in during last change. Putting only 2 quarts in doesn't sit right with me, but I'll give it a shot.
Next time you change your oil, only put in 2 quarts of oil and then take the bike for a 10-20 mile ride. This is to ensure that any air in the oil system gets worked out of the lines and the filter is full. Now use your dipstick to determine how much additional oil you need to bring the oil level up to midway between the ADD & FULL marks on the dipstick. It should wind up being about 2.5 to 2.7 quarts depending on the size/brand of your oil filter.

Note: Since, unlike your car, the oil on your bike is pumped from and returned to an oil tank, as long as the tank has some oil in it, there is no chance of a lack of oil flow. The additional oil in the tank simply aids in cooling, allowing the oil to cool a bit before being recirculated.

Last edited by cHarley; 09-19-2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:10 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

If you use a stock size oil filter I wouldn't go under 2.5 quarts. If you still have oil coming out the AC with 2.5 in it, then you may have some other problem...Good luck.