Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > General Harley Davidson Forums > General Harley Davidson Chat
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by: J&P Cycles

P

Old 10-13-2009, 10:58 PM
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Do Harley's cost more to insure?

I just sold a Honda VTX 1800 and ordered a new 2010 Fatboy that should be ready in about 5-7 weeks. I was surprised to find out that Progressive wants to charge me double to insure the Fatboy. No other variables have changed other than going from an 1800 Honda to a 1600 Harley. I'm a bit conused since I was always under the impression that insurance rates were mainly tied to the size of the engine. Is it because the Fatboy costs more or is more likely to get stolen?
Old 10-13-2009, 11:38 PM
Road Warrior

I went from a Ninja (650cc) to my Street bob.

I also changed companies (from Gieco to Allstate, Allstate would not insure my ninja before) and with the same coverages, my insurance went up exactly 20 dollars a year.

Shop around.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:43 PM
Ultimate HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKnight View Post
I just sold a Honda VTX 1800 and ordered a new 2010 Fatboy that should be ready in about 5-7 weeks. I was surprised to find out that Progressive wants to charge me double to insure the Fatboy. No other variables have changed other than going from an 1800 Honda to a 1600 Harley. I'm a bit conused since I was always under the impression that insurance rates were mainly tied to the size of the engine. Is it because the Fatboy costs more or is more likely to get stolen?
Replacement cost is a part of it, risk of theft is another. I'm sure a new Fatboy would cost way more to replace than a used VTX. I'm also certain that the risk of theft is much greater on the new Fatboy.

'08 Electra Glide Classic - now almost an Ultra
'01 XL883C with 1200 kit
'93 Yamaha Vmax (recently sold)
Member - NRA

"If at first you don't succeed.........maybe you just suck!"
Old 10-13-2009, 11:54 PM
Road Warrior

That just doesn't sound right to me. I would get a quote from someone else beside Progressive. I switched from Progressive a few years ago because they raised their rate two hundred dollars at renewal time for no reason. I hadn't had any accidents or tickets during that year. I've had Geico now for a couple years, and I'm very happy with their rates. And, no I don't work for Geico.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:06 AM
Outstanding HDF Member

and the fact the honda wont be worth crap in a year while the hd will be worth just about what it cost new.

2011 FLHTCU
Merlot & Black
Old 10-14-2009, 12:17 AM
Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
Replacement cost is a part of it, risk of theft is another. I'm sure a new Fatboy would cost way more to replace than a used VTX. I'm also certain that the risk of theft is much greater on the new Fatboy.
I agree and believe that is precisely the reason for the price increase!

The other reason is…”because they can”; therefore they will!

Great American Classics...
CORVETTE & HARLEY-DAVIDSON !
Old 10-14-2009, 12:20 AM
Road Warrior

I only pay like $29 per month for full coverage. I know crotch rockets cost a lot more to insure
Old 10-14-2009, 12:28 AM
Outstanding HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastjoe View Post
That just doesn't sound right to me. I would get a quote from someone else beside Progressive. I switched from Progressive a few years ago because they raised their rate two hundred dollars at renewal time for no reason. I hadn't had any accidents or tickets during that year. I've had Geico now for a couple years, and I'm very happy with their rates. And, no I don't work for Geico.
Thanks! I'm definitely going to get some other quotes. I've been with Progressive for over 5 years and they have been the cheapest whenever I checked, but I guess it's time to check again. The price for my prior bike stayed constant over the years even as it got older so there was no reduction based upon it's decreasing value nor was there any increase.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:00 AM
Hang Around

I just swapped from a 2006 VTX1300 to a 2007 Harley Night Train. I also have Progressive and my rate went up by $60 a year. So yeah... It costs a little more but not too bad. Other quotes may get them competing to keep your business. Not a bad idea.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:42 AM
Ultimate HDF Member

My 2002 VTX1800 cost identical to my 2010 Ultra Classic. I have Markel Insurance.

It is almost impossible to compare between different riders. Zip code, credit rating, age, driving record, if combined with car and house insurance. And many other factors.

I know that old men living in the mid west with high credit scores and no tickets don't pay much for any insurance.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:42 AM

P