General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulled a crotch rocket yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 11:34 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Pulled a crotch rocket yesterday

Yesterday, I was at a friends place who lives about a half hour out of the city. I was due home at 6:00 under strict orders from my wife. Well at about 5:45, I finally left, I sort of lost track of the exact time. So then, I thought I was in deep ****. Luckily he lives 2 minutes from Highway 2, a four lane divided highway.

So I go rippin out onto the highway, take er up to 138, set the cruise, it cuts out at 140 so I can set it just a few k's less.

Then after a few minutes I approach a group of 3 of those plastic light weight crotch rockets in formation in the right lane, going about 120. In the left lane a car was "passing", actually going the exact same speed. Crap, I don't have time for this I think. So I click er down to 5th and pull in behind the crotch rockets. Just then an exit lane opened on the right so I sort of snuck past the last two of them on their right. No problem. Just then the lead guy sits up on his bike and gives them some sort of signal. I stood on the brake, thinking he was going to do something ratical. Matched his speed exactly, about 110, clicked er down to 4th. He turned to see the answer to his signal from his crew and as he turned he spotted me. We made eye contact and at that instant I rotated the gasser all the way to the pin. I have the Bub 7 true dual exhaust, stage 1, came with the bike when I bought it last year. It's loud. There I was, about 3500rpm, 4th gear, wide open. In the power band. The motor growling as it torqued through the low rpm's. At the exact same instant, the dude dropped his down a gear and opened it up, big mistake, he should have dropped it down about 3 gears and got that toy engine screaming. I could hear his engine growling too. I passed him without any trouble, took er to 5k rpm, I let go of the throttle, pull in the clutch, click er to 5th, open to the pin. Now I'm flying. I could see him struggling to keep up, he was trying. Once again, 5K rpm, release the throttle, clutch in click to 6th. Now there's considerable distance between us, he gave up. I fully expected that thing to hit the power band and see him fly past me at about 250, never happened. I kept the bike wide open until I hit almost 190. Held it there for a while then let er coast back to 140. Those dudes were so far behind I couldn't even see them in my mirror. I think they have a new respect for those piece of crap harleys now. They're not actually as slow as all that after all, haha.

By the way, I was late home, we rushed to where we were going and arrived about a half hour late.

I love my road glide, even though most folks thinks it's a fugly POS. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

By the way, I know I was speeding, and what I did could be considered a tad on the dangerous side. But I made the decision at the time and never felt I was ever in any compromising situation. My RG is very stable at speed.

For you American folks not used to kilometers...
120 km/hr == 72mph
140 km/hr == 84mph
190 km/hr == 114mph

Old 10-18-2009, 11:40 PM
kered
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

does it count if they were 250cc's?

The following users liked this post:
blap (08-20-2019)
Old 10-18-2009, 11:41 PM
fastjoe
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

^--- Yeah what he said.....

I hate to tell you bro, but he was riding a Ninja 250.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:43 PM
T-Dub
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They must have been on 250's.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:44 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Yeah, ok.....

And.......

I can't believe someone would risk life and limb rushing home because they were "under strict orders by their wife".....

Old 10-18-2009, 11:44 PM
T-Dub
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my Busa, I could have outdone that in third gear.

The following users liked this post:
blap (08-20-2019)
Old 10-18-2009, 11:49 PM
fastjoe
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

It's only a race if the other guy knows you are racing.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:55 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

yeah ok, maybe they were 250's, I didn't pay any attention. Just 3 dudes, in the typical crunched over posture, wearing full race leathers, riding like they were in a daytona race. Me, cruised by siting upright, feet forward on my hwy pegs. It felt good none the less.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:27 AM
High Gear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man ..I was at the edge of my seat rootin for ya big time!!

I was thinkin dang a Canadian stage 1 must be kick azz.

( even overlooked the "under strict orders from my wife". comment )

And..... Then..... ya..... had .... to ...... go..... and..... ruin..... it. WTF

For you American folks not used to kilometers...
120 km/hr == 72mph
140 km/hr == 84mph
190 km/hr == 114mph

Old 10-19-2009, 12:59 AM
Bonker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha!!! 250's for sure. Funny... such a long post about passing a motorcycle. I wonder how it would have read if they were on 600's? "Um, I tried to pass this guy but he was going 225kph before I was finished downshifting."

Hate to say it bro, you have a nice bike. But don't kid yourself about speed.

Last edited by Bonker; 10-19-2009 at 01:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Pulled a crotch rocket yesterday