General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the best 2 way communication headset?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 03:18 AM
89Speedy
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default What's the best 2 way communication headset?

I'm looking to communicate with another rider on a long trip. Any suggestions?0

Old 08-20-2013, 04:32 AM
sportsterbillyd
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blue tooth or iPhone?

Old 08-20-2013, 05:43 AM
89Speedy
Tourer

Originally Posted by sportsterbillyd
Blue tooth or iPhone?
Gee, hadn't thought of that. How do they all work? Helmet speakers? Would be cool to listen to music then simply have it cut off if the other guy speaks.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:11 PM
H20DOG
Outstanding HDF Member

Scala Cardio Q9. We have them and love them. The range is great. We have half helmets and can hear very clearly. The nice thing is that if you have friends they can pair up with you.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:01 PM
89Speedy
Tourer

Originally Posted by H20DOG
Scala Cardio Q9. We have them and love them. The range is great. We have half helmets and can hear very clearly. The nice thing is that if you have friends they can pair up with you.
Thanks, I'll check em out!

Old 08-20-2013, 09:40 PM
snowmass
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the Scala Riders. We have a G2 that we like a lot and basically wore out. We've replaced those with a Q4 that I haven't installed yet. I tried several. Nothing is perfect, but these were the only ones that worked as they should about 95% of the time.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:29 AM
Bart van der Meulen
Road Master
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Believe me or not, but there is just no 'best one'. We have Scala Rider Teamset Pro and the suprises are every day so big as the new sunshine. Communication between rider and passenger is rather good, but don't try to integrate your iPhone and your navset.
The only way is via Bluetooth and if there is one system unreliable, it is Bluetooth. Programmed all devices for automatic contact one day it connect smoothly, the other day even manual connecting is a station too far...With no reasons because the other day it works perfectly again. The following day iPhone rejects any contact with Scala or via Scala with the GPS or reversed..Every day a big surprise. The Scala importer blames the GPS device, the GPS device blames noth iPhone and Scala, iPhone blames Scala en the result is a Russian roulette in connections. Also in between, al of a sudden they decide no to communicate whit each other anymore, like a couple getting arguments during a trip...
And no signs of disconnecting, no all of a sudden you won't get traffic information through your helmspeakers. Or you feel your iPhoen vibrating, not able to ring via your headset speakers...And than it goes excellent for a couple of days.....I comfort myself with the thoughts that it is all based on software. And how reliable that is in 2013 you have to judge yourself....Not !

Old 08-22-2013, 10:48 AM
H20DOG
Outstanding HDF Member

I agree I have paired my Scala to Bluetooth on my phone to get added range.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:13 AM
Trak350
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Sena SMH10R http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...etooth-headset. I enjoy the low profile look (no bulky headsets for me).I think it works awesome for music, texts, and phone calls. Siri works great with it. It's also not as expensive as alot of the others. I believe you can get a dual pack at a discounted price as well.

Attached Thumbnails What's the best 2 way communication headset?-bt1.jpg   What's the best 2 way communication headset?-bt2.jpg   What's the best 2 way communication headset?-bt3.jpg  

Last edited by Trak350; 08-22-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:39 PM
HyperM3
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Trak350
I have the Sena SMH10R http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...etooth-headset. I enjoy the low profile look (no bulky headsets for me).I think it works awesome for music, texts, and phone calls. Siri works great with it. It's also not as expensive as alot of the others. I believe you can get a dual pack at a discounted price as well.
^ This. My buddy works for Revzilla so hes always bringing home stuff for us to play with. We have tried both the Sena and Scala products on multiple occasions. The Sena stuff just works more consistently. Scala headsets, for us, seemed to break up above 60mph and virtually impossible to understand anyone at that level. The Senas on the otherhand, are clear up to and above 80mph with a significant longer distance between headsets. Pairing between headsets on the Sena was much easier than on the Scala as well.

Of course, YMMV. This was what we found in our testing.

Quick Reply: What's the best 2 way communication headset?