General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you fight an insurance company/adjuster?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 04:21 PM
lucy brown
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post a picture of the damage. All sheet metal is repairable to a point. I do this for a living. I can tell you from a picture if it's repairable or warrents replacement. As far a used sheet metal goes. There is nothing wrong with it. You didnt have a new fender on your vehicle to begin with so why expect a brand new one. Nothing wrong with salvage parts. Sheet metal isnt subject to wear anyway so what's the big deal. Also, it's very easy to tell if sheetmetal has been repaired or repainted. Paint thickness can be easily measured as can body filler repair.

Old 12-23-2009, 05:25 PM
2003Springer
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have dealt with a lot of agents and adjusters This has never failed me. I state what it will take to make me happy. Period. I don't call my adjuster back. I don't call or visit my agent. as far as they know I am waiting on them to call me which i am. Within two weeks to a month they are calling me. I have never had to call the insurance commissioner but I would not hesitate. I was given a new corvette for a used Yamaha. when I would not tell them what i wanted to settle. They made the offer. I took it and at the time I went to pick up the check I told the agent I had ruined a new pair of boots and he gave me his company check for the boots.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:29 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

Did ya ever think you might be better having that fender fixed instead of a thinner gauge, ill fitting aftermarket fender. Tell ya, if they can fix it, you got to settle for that!

Old 12-23-2009, 10:27 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I have an additional suggestion. It's called diminished value. A car fax will show that your car was in an accident. therefore it will be worth less than the same car that was not damaged. Corvette owners and others with sports cars do that all the time. Suggest that if you don't get the new parts you will pursue diminished value. Hold off on an attorney until you are sure that they won't cave. Then go with a attorney that will take it for a %. He will go for the pain and suffering with your wife's injury.

They are jacking you around a little. Jack them right back. Don't even mess with your company. Let the other guys do all the work. Their the ones that are scared about the injury.

You have no contract with them regarding repair or replacement parts. I should not even enter the situation as what your coverage is. You only needed to tell them you were in a accident.

Last edited by lh4x4; 12-23-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:13 AM
desertclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Did all this a few yrs back. Pretty serious accident, wife had surgery 3 times and 3 yrs of therapy. This is how it worked for us. Our insurance company settled with me on the auto (totaled). My adjuster told me that is what I pay uninsured, collision, for and they would give me a better settlement that the other guys company. It did not count on my policy as a fault accident for us. When all was done, my company filed with the other company for payment of all expences that my company laid out, and the other company paid them.

If there are any injuries or serious damage to the auto, it is best that you do not discuss anything with the other company until you get some advise from a lawyer. I was laying in the hospital and the other guys insurance was calling me and offering to take care of the hospital bill if I would settle with them. I am telling you they know all the tricks. That was a small bill compared to the total expense for all the bills and the auto. It took 3 1/2 yrs to settle but it happened. Nope you never get enough $ to pay for the pain and stuff you have to go thru the rest of your life. No need to be in a hurry, make sure everything is all right with everything. You have 3 yrs to file in court if needed.