Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > General Harley Davidson Forums > General Harley Davidson Chat
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by: J&P Cycles

P

Old 12-27-2009, 12:23 PM
One Of The Regulars
Default Looking for a slim helmet

I am looking for a slim helmet...like what is worn on the show SOA.
I was in a MC accident back in Nov. ...65mph into an SUV broadside...Fortunately I survived and with very minor injuries for such an accident. But I digress. My outlook has changed a lil due to it...I never wore a helmet if not mandated by laws. Well my son (7yr old) asked me to wear a helmet....I kinda agree with him i guess. Don't wanna orphan my son so ...the main reason I never wore a helmet is the fact tha I hate the way they look !! well the slim helmets i see on the tv show Sons of Anarchy look like they have potential...does anyone have one or know wear to get them...not the novelty kind...if I am gonna wear a helmet I want a "real one".

I bought one from Leatherup.com and it was advertised as "slim, sleek, etc" how far from the truth that was!!! the most ridiculous helmet I ever wore (for 30 seconds) so its going back fer sure.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:27 PM
Elite HDF Member

You're looking for a slim helmet? Aren't we all? Good luck with that, as long as you'll get a DOT aproved helmet, you'll always look like the king of smurfs. The SOA helmets are novelty helmets and will protect your head as well as a 4.99$ doo rag.
au péril de ta vie
Old 12-27-2009, 12:34 PM
Prospect

just have to hit some shops and try them on. i found one at a stealers that did not look like a musshroom.

WHEN MAMA SAID IT'S HOT,I TOUCHED IT ANYWAY
Old 12-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Prospect

Try headtrip helmets. I think htats their new name. I have had one for 2 years and love it! Actuall bought the wife one last year and she loves it too.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:39 PM
Prospect

Heres their website. http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/dothelmets.php
Old 12-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Supporter

I hear a lot of people like the ACC carbon fiber helmets http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/dothelmets.php
IBA# 48708
Old 12-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Road Captain

http://carbonfiberhelmets.com/dothelmets.php

Try that I have a friend that highly recommends them . I wear a modular this time of the year but will be looking into these once spring/summer hits.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:47 PM
Road Captain

Who cares what you look like...you ride to ride...so be safe when you ride! Reminds me of people who ask if saddlebags look cool, or if riding with a backpack makes you a dork, or is riding with a windshield means you are not tough...Your little boy NEEDS a father! That's how I feel about it...take it for what it's worth. Ok I'm off my soapbox.

Now there are some nice Hybrid half helmets out there, so light you don't even know you are wearing it...but you will still look like a mushroom head!

2012 Big Blue Pearl/Black Tri-Glide
"The American Christian: He will die on his feet, fighting ...
before he will live on his knees!" George Washington
Old 12-27-2009, 12:59 PM
Road Master

One caution, if you buy a half helmet be careful of the design of it. I bought a Daytona Carbon Fiber DOT legal half helmet from Helmetzone.com and while it was light (1.6 lbs) it also tries to roll backward on my head going down the freeway.

I just bought my fourth helmet in the quest for the right one at a dealership. I had tried the Harley line of helmets but didn't want to pay the price. I finally gave into the idea that as there are different head shapes, there are too different helmet shapes and fit is what matters related to helmets.

One other mention on novelty helmets, several posts on the forum lately about states cracking down on novelty helmet use?
Old 12-27-2009, 01:02 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

The ACC/Headtrip helmet is nice but no where close to a novelty size. Yes i own one. They are great for city miles but man they are terrible on the freeway.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:02 PM

P