General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone installed timken bearings and had crank trued on 96" TC???

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 10:19 AM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default anyone installed timken bearings and had crank trued on 96" TC???

Hey everyone,

I have a 107" fatbob that I took to get dyno'd last week and it didn't quite turn the numbers we expected. I left it at the tuner and he is going to change the cam out that should put us in the 120+ HP range. He has strongly advised me to have the crank welded/trued and install the timken bearings. I decided today to go ahead and have him do it because he is already down into the bike a good bit and it isn't that much more to just pull the entire motor. He already had my heads pulled to check valve clearance for the new cam. I was just looking for other peoples experiences on having the crank trued/welded and timkens installed? I have never had a set of cases split and am a little nervous about having it done. Up to this point I have done most of the work myself but definitely know that removing the crank is beyond my comfort level. Any experiences(hopefully good ones ) are appreciated.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:45 AM
arealinvestor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by leeinmemphis
Hey everyone,

I have a 107" fatbob that I took to get dyno'd last week and it didn't quite turn the numbers we expected. I left it at the tuner and he is going to change the cam out that should put us in the 120+ HP range. He has strongly advised me to have the crank welded/trued and install the timken bearings. I decided today to go ahead and have him do it because he is already down into the bike a good bit and it isn't that much more to just pull the entire motor. He already had my heads pulled to check valve clearance for the new cam. I was just looking for other peoples experiences on having the crank trued/welded and timkens installed? I have never had a set of cases split and am a little nervous about having it done. Up to this point I have done most of the work myself but definitely know that removing the crank is beyond my comfort level. Any experiences(hopefully good ones ) are appreciated.
Wow, your almost at 120hp with a 107ci & running a stock crank.You really like to gamble huh??? Is he going to send the crank out? or do it himself? What is the run out now on the crank??Do you plan on running gear drive cams? Who is doing the work?? I have a 2010 Ultra getting some royal treatment.My crank run out was at .005 with 14 miles on the motor!!! I will be buying a worked crank from Hoban brothers for a stroker motor.

Last edited by arealinvestor; 01-29-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:13 AM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior

It already has gear drives in it. It is Rod's Performance in Alabama. He built and tuned the Buell factory race bikes when they were racing. He does them in house. My crank runout was .001 on the dyna and .002 on my Ultra. My ultra is right at 103 hp so it is probably going to be ok for now. Next winter I will probably have the bottom end done on it. The dyna is going to be somewhere between 120 to 130 hp.

Last edited by leeinmemphis; 01-29-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:49 AM
arealinvestor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leeinmemphis
It already has gear drives in it. It is Rod's Performance in Alabama. He built and tuned the Buell factory race bikes when they were racing. He does them in house. My crank runout was .001 on the dyna and .002 on my Ultra. My ultra is right at 103 hp so it is probably going to be ok for now. Next winter I will probably have the bottom end done on it. The dyna is going to be somewhere between 120 to 130 hp.
I've heard of them,I think Bob Woods recommends them.Good luck on the build!!!My build will have the crank trued,welded,plugged & balanced.The timken bearing will also be done in prep for a 124 Baisley Hybrid head build!!

Old 01-29-2010, 12:11 PM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by arealinvestor
I've heard of them,I think Bob Woods recommends them.Good luck on the build!!!My build will have the crank trued,welded,plugged & balanced.The timken bearing will also be done in prep for a 124 Baisley Hybrid head build!!
yeah he is tied at the hip with Bob Woods. I'm sure they'll take good care of me. I've always hated the idea of splitting the cases on any motorcycle but they do this on a daily basis so it is fairly ordinary for them to do. I just don't want to have to worry about the crank every time I get out on the bike.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:29 PM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior

ttt.....just curious if anyone else has done this to a 96" TC