General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slip on vs. full exhaust--need help!!

Old 01-30-2010, 04:01 PM
FLYSBY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Slip on vs. full exhaust--need help!!

Okay, boys. A little help?
Having trouble finding information and the Dyna guys were helpful, but someone suggested sending this question out to the whole gang so here goes. Have a new 2010 StreetBob and looking to put Rus slip ons. Went to dealer today and they sent me home with a list of over $1000 in parts, labor, and dyno work. They tell me I need new air intake, Power Commander, dyno work, etc. First, the work will be done by hubby and pals, second, I only want a little extra sound. Don't need more power. Can't imagine ever needing to go faster than my bike goes now. Some people seem to get real excited about this question. Probably something you have seen on here thousands of times but I am new member. Help a girl out??

Attached Thumbnails Slip on vs. full exhaust--need help!!-brian-s-phone-jan2010-010.jpg   Slip on vs. full exhaust--need help!!-brian-s-phone-jan2010-009.jpg  
Old 01-30-2010, 04:12 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pipes (slip-ons) only?????

You won't need anything else.

However, you would gain power by adding the other stuff. But you said you don't need that. Buy the pipes and let hubby put them on. Proceed to live happily ever after.

Remember though, if you add a free flowing air filter, you will need to add the power commander or equivalent. Pipes only are okay without the power commander.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:21 PM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

The Rush Slip Ons are a great choice. I had them on my previous Fatboy, and now my RG. No disappointments at all.

Changing the air filter to a high flow will make the engine breathe easier thereby it will run cooler and better. Less heat on your legs. Your not going to notice a huge difference in power, but you will get better power.

$1,000.00 is real high for the setup you described. I can't remember exactly what I paid but I think in the area of $700.00 for the Mufflers, PC-V, & K & N Filter.

I would do all 3 items. It's an easy install. Call Jaime @ Fuel Moto. He is a site sponsor here on HDForums. Enjoy the ride.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:22 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2010's

Originally Posted by lockednloaded
Okay, boys. A little help?
Having trouble finding information and the Dyna guys were helpful, but someone suggested sending this question out to the whole gang so here goes. Have a new 2010 StreetBob and looking to put Rus slip ons. Went to dealer today and they sent me home with a list of over $1000 in parts, labor, and dyno work. They tell me I need new air intake, Power Commander, dyno work, etc. First, the work will be done by hubby and pals, second, I only want a little extra sound. Don't need more power. Can't imagine ever needing to go faster than my bike goes now. Some people seem to get real excited about this question. Probably something you have seen on here thousands of times but I am new member. Help a girl out??
First find out where the new Catalytic converter is located, 2010 bikes now have the cat in the exhaust system. The touring have the Cat in the headpipe slipons don't give them much better sound becsuse of the Cat stuffing.

I feel the Bob may have the Cat in the muffler, if it does you will enjoy some better sound and get a little better low end performance by just changing out the mufflers. If you don't change the AC the ECM should be able to adjust for just the slipons. You will get some post after mine that will disagree but I have never had any problems with just switching out the mufflers. You do the slipons and the high flow AC, Stage one and you will definately need to tune.

Here is where it gets complicated, MOCO will tell you to stay under warranty you have to use the SEPST! Thing is all the 2010 MAPS are lean and I don't think that fuel managment system will let you use the 09 MAPS on a 2010. To much fuel into the cat will stop it up over time!

Most good tuners use the TTS or the PC5, I am a little surprised a Harley Dealer suggested the PC5 over the SERT or SEPST.

The 2010 emissions standards were tough, the bikes were already running a lean AFR and an EPA CAM to allow a complete burn of the fuel in the combustion chamber. Then they hung the Cats on them.

Check to see if you have the Cats in the Muffler and just go with the slipons right now. I run a set of XIED's that richin up the AFR to 13.8 in the idle through 4000 RPM Band. Will save you the expense of an expensive tune right now and cool the bike down a little also. They are not the replacement for a good tune but may hold you until you can find a good reputable tuner. 2010 MAPS are lean, the first one for just the pipes does not even richin the AFR with the Harley ECM Programs.

Wait for it, here comes about 20 different suggestions...lol

Old 01-30-2010, 04:29 PM
Studabakerhawk
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't see the need for more power but wanted to change the sound for just a little more rumble and went with the Supertrapp quiet straight 2:1. It didn't need the dyno or a new air cleaner and runs great with the stock engine map. Call and talk to Fuel Moto. They are very helpful and had a good price.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:31 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
Pipes (slip-ons) only?????

You won't need anything else.

However, you would gain power by adding the other stuff. But you said you don't need that. Buy the pipes and let hubby put them on. Proceed to live happily ever after.

Remember though, if you add a free flowing air filter, you will need to add the power commander or equivalent. Pipes only are okay without the power commander.

Exactly.
Tom

Old 01-30-2010, 04:47 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Since you have a 2010 with the cats in the exhaust not sure how lean they have the new bikes set but I am sure it is lean which will even get leaner as you add pipes and hi flow air cleaner. So, best to do the complete Stage 1 with a fuel management device and have it dialed in a bit richer.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:50 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 812 Likes on 798 Posts

Been said in here many times.
Pipes only don't have to have anything else done.

The Rush pipes will add somewhere between 2-5 more HP.
I've had them for 3yrs now and got them when lot of people never heard of them, there great sounding and nice workmanship..

Three yrs ago they used to say 2'' was perfect to use and lot of guys around here in central IND. have them, but when I talked to a Rush tech last Sept. they are now saying that U can still use the 2'' but the 1 3/4 will give a little better low end performance.

A little more back pressure with them over the 2''. I think the 2'' are a little deeper but they are close to the same when U git on her...

I had stg1 and cams done so the 2'' is perfect for me. If U later do that they will even sound deeper and more........ powerful......

Either of the above will make a big difference and wake the sound up..U wont be sorry unless U want the top in performance, then, U'll need a 2-1 system...

Old 01-30-2010, 04:57 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a follow up guys she needs to make sure where that cat is. The Glide and Softail have the Cats in the muffler, I just don't know for sure where they put the Cat on the Bob.

If the Cat is in the down pipe or headpipe area the slipons won't help her much! Does anyone know where Harley put the Cat in the Bob?

If the cat is in the mufflers just the slipon's should be all you need but as I said all the 2010 bikes are lean and need a tune!

XIED's just snap in between ECM and o2 sensors and can be taken out if you need to take the bike in for warranty work! You are at about 14-6 right now in closed loop where the o2 sensors adjust the fuel "AFR", very lean. The XIED's will take you to 13.8 and make the bike run a little cooler. On a budgit!

I would rather run the PC5 with the auto tune but there goes the ol budget again!

Old 01-30-2010, 05:02 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

they are now saying that U can still use the 2'' but the 1 3/4 will give a little better low end performance.
I played with both in the past. I believe she'll be happy with the 1 3/4 (she just wants to add a lil rumble). Both were great sounding.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Slip on vs. full exhaust--need help!!