General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to sell a bike?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 06:18 AM
pig iron
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool How to sell a bike?

Hey All,
I have decided to get a bigger bike in the spring, but I'm not sure how to sell my present bike? It's a 2005 Sportster and I'm thinking about moving up to a Dyna or FatBoy. I know about Craigslist but if you advertise there and get someone interested and they come to look at it do you let them ride it or what, I'm concerned about just letting anyone get on it and ride it away not knowing if they can ride or not, and ending up with a totaled bike. I know I can trade it at the dealership but I also know they tend to give you bottom dollar and whatever I get I need to apply to my new ride, plus we all know once you get the bike you have to pay for the extras, so every dollar counts.
If anyone has any experience they can pass along I would really appreciate any advice on how to go about selling my Sportster. Thanks.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:26 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

There are a few threads here on selling a bike.
Most people will tell you to get cash in hand before a test ride or no test ride at all.

All the other bikes I have owned I allowed test rides and had no issues.Do you feel lucky?

Old 12-30-2012, 06:35 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

You can judge a persons ability and intentions by how they talk and act. Check (and hold on to) their driver's license. If their first question is about a test ride they probably aren't serious or experienced.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:34 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,477 Likes on 2,477 Posts

Cash in hand in full or no test ride. No exceptions.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:39 AM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Dickey's advice is the best. I have sold several bikes via Craigs list, all with a detailed description, quality pics, and well stated, no test rides. Show it at home or in a public place with someone with you. Cash in hand only. Of the 3 bikes I have sold on Craigs list, they all sold with no test rides and all 3 paid cash, none came back.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:44 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

1. Wait & list bike in the Spring.
2. Look-up valuations on NADA & KBB to determine "fair" asking price.
3. Remove/sell any accessories "separate."
4. Question any/all serious responses & post on "local" listings.
5. Might seem dumb, but take the bars on your test rides (they are passenger).
6. If #5 is "no" - must show cash & hand over their keys for test run.

If they're not serious...#5 & #6 will flush the "lookers" away/out. Good luck!

Old 12-30-2012, 09:11 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've sold many bikes, never any test rides. I started the bike, revved it, showed him everything worked, and turned it off. The main concern for me is the titleholder is liable for the rider which means if he dies or kills someone testing the bike, you will be sued. And believe me, in this litigious society, it will be your fault for letting an inexperienced rider use the bike.

My last bike I sold last spring after listing it in Craigslist for about 6 months. I figured I wouldn't sell it until spring but it's free so I ran the ad. If you're in a hurry, you'll have to try as many listings as possible, such as Cycle Trader, and other on line listings. Those you have to pay a fee.

Last edited by barjbar; 12-30-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:12 AM
MYKSHD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Pigiron. Here is a Dyna for ya! I am getting close to trading this on off. Take a look. Mike

Old 12-30-2012, 09:19 AM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior

I like to meet in a somewhat busy parking lot and will ride it around while they watch and listen or will take them for a short ride. When buying I like to see a pretty quick stop looking for any strange shaking plus a pretty quick take off looking at the exhaust. Good luck.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:25 AM
stryker67
Advanced

I don't know about most people on here but as a buyer I will not buy without a test ride.. also if I am spending more than 3 maybe 4000 I will not be carrying cash, and if you have a lein on it I will not be giving you any cash it will go to the bank to pay off the lein so I can walk out with the title in my hand..

Quick Reply: How to sell a bike?