General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drunk college kids = not motorcycle friendly

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 04:12 PM
mashedpotatoes
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drunk college kids = not motorcycle friendly

So last night I was bored, with no prospects of anything interesting to do for the evening, so I decided to get out of JMU and hop on I81 and head two hours south to see my buddy at Tech. I called my girlfriend to have her let my dog out for me, slapped the windshield on the nightster, hooked up my heated gear and headed out at about 7:30. It snowed a little bit on the trip, but it wasn't too bad. Arrived about ten o'clock and had a good evening hanging out with some buddies I haven't seen in a while.

Given that he lives in college apartments, I parked my bike sideways at the front of a spot, and he pulled his M3 into the same spot up close to my bike, that way we knew no one else would park close to it. We got up this morning and saw it was knocked over. At first I thought it was the wind, since it had been gusty, but we realized it was knocked over on the kickstand side, which takes considerable force to push over. Damages were a scratch on the battery cover, a busted rear tail light/the whole housing is crushed in, a bent clutch lever, a hole in the motorcycle cover he let me borrow to put on the bike, and a bent kickstand.

I stood the bike up, and the kickstand was bent all funny, but i bent it back right enough with my foot for me to be able to put it up and ride home. I swear I hear a different noise from the engine now in rhythm with the cylinders, almost like a belt-y, rotating type noise, but it could be that I'm just paranoid. I know that it is probably all fine internally, but you all I'm sure know the feeling of worry one gets after something like this. I have Foremost insurance through HD, so hopefully they will be good to me.

All in all, lesson learned about parking anywhere near where disrespectful, spoiled, immature drunk kids will be walking. God I despise my generation. To the adults on here, know that not all of us 20 year olds are worthless.

Thanks for listening guys.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:41 PM
pjmoraldo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats friggin messed up! thats why you get yourself 1 of those security systems that are silent and pages you if theres a person screwin with your bike. Then you come in with the suprise factor!

Old 02-28-2010, 04:47 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

That blows!! I live in a college town and I've always thought about the possibility when I'm out in town. Luckily I don't party anymore and it's in my garage at night.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:51 PM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that sucks man, i'm a full time college student myself and def worry about this kinda stuff. never disresepect someones **** like that....never!

glad all is well with yr scoot, hope ya find out who it might be....probley never happen but i guess its better yr bike didn't get stole. sorry about yr misfortune

Old 02-28-2010, 05:29 PM
crackercap
Road Master

Anytime someone messes with your property especially your bike, you just wish you could have arrived in the middle of it and got your point across! Just never works that good..sorry for your damages....

Old 02-28-2010, 05:36 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How can you bend a kickstand by pushing a bike over by hand. Are you sure that a vehicle didn't push it over? Back into it?

Old 02-28-2010, 05:37 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey mashed, sorry to hear that happened to you, but it could have been worse.

We "elders" do understand that not all of your generation are totally "worthless" (as you mentioned).
I have a 14 yo wonderful son who is very mature in some areas-- and not at all in others-- all to do with development speed of certain brain lobes. Some experts say that young men may not develop maturity in certain lobe areas until well into their 20's.
You on the other hand, seem to have your ch1t together quite well. Don't give up on your peers-- it's been happening since day one way back when and don't forget, we "elders" went through the same process too!

Old 02-28-2010, 05:50 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

Agree, not all youngsters are bad, Hey their's a small % of older and elderly that messes up sometimes too. but not usually in the vandalism area.

Hope it just minor stuff and not the motor..

Old 02-28-2010, 06:28 PM
WWECOUGAR
Road Master

Had alot of trouble with drunk college kids even when I was one of them. Apartment parking lots and bikes don't mix, college or otherwise. I know this from experiences. Hope the bike is ok and the insurance takes care of the damage.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:30 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, sumthin' wrong with that generation. Looked at a house to buy yesterday. Owner is 90 yr. old woman living in Nursing home. Two of her grandkids live in the house, pay no rent, do not clean(toilets have not been cleaned in at least 6 mos. since they moved in), asked GM how much she would pay them to mow lawn(Realtor paid someone to mow the grass before she put the house on the market) GM is selling the house cuz she needs the money. You would think those 21-23 yr. old twits would help her out. But to be fair, one of them works 4 days a week and doesn't have much free time to get things done around the house. We put an offer on the house, I just hope GM can get the kids out before close of Escrow. I have Nieces and Nephews just like these two freeloaders. Till yesterday I didn't know it was so common. No respect for ****! And the water heater has been broken for months. No hot water. Do they care? Not!

Last edited by IAMSWUTIAMS; 02-28-2010 at 06:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Drunk college kids = not motorcycle friendly