General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio for Softail

Old 08-24-2015, 08:22 PM
tmurray9999
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio for Softail

I decided I'd like to add a satellite radio and handle bar speakers with some hand controls to my 2010 FLSTC. That being said my few days of research has left me with way more questions than answers. Any ideas or directions from the group? I like the look of the handlebar speakers and the simpler plug in Sirius radio but thought about speakers on the engine guard too. Anyone have any experience with any of this?

Old 08-24-2015, 10:26 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I know this isn't the suggestion you're looking for, but if you really want good sound, might be worth considering a removable fairing with stereo and speakers...

Old 08-24-2015, 11:42 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 751 Likes on 459 Posts

forget the Sirius/XM setup.
With internet radio growing Sirius/XM might not be around in a couple of years.

I have Sirius/XM in my company car but I listen to internet radio like Tunein, iHeart, Pandora and iTunes Radio more often.

As for the setup, I have Boom Audio and it's OK as long as you are traveling under 65 mph.
I have it connected to a Bluetooth receiver that I connect through my smartphone.

Works pretty good and I've got no wires to connect.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:18 AM
Silver Fox
Club Member
Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...rojects+deluxe

I did a thread on some things I did to my Deluxe. There is a few pics of what I did for Sirius radio.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:21 AM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts
Default Radio for Softail

Originally Posted by Bluraven
forget the Sirius/XM setup.
With internet radio growing Sirius/XM might not be around in a couple of years.

Some folks have been saying this for years, but it's doubtful that Internet radio will undo Sirius. They just aren't on the same level. Most phone carriers have data limits, so streaming audio for hours at a time for days on end can cost a lot of money - assuming that you have continuous data connectivity while you're riding. With satellite radio, you have continuous coverage anyplace that you have a view of the sky.

To the OP - check out the Rock Hoodz from Reckless Motorcycles. You can also get handlebar controls for it.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:41 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

I have a Kenwood radio that accepts SD cards, Bluetooth, USB and 1/8 aux input for my car.

No reason for satellite or Internet streaming music as long as you have a good collection of mp3s.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:24 AM
tmurray9999
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys!

Personally I don't see satellite radio going anywhere. The reception and dependability is just too good compared to data signals. And I love the stations.

Originally Posted by Bluraven
As for the setup, I have Boom Audio and it's OK as long as you are traveling under 65 mph.
I was worried about this from what I've read other places, I don't want to get to ridiculous with speakers and amps everywhere.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:31 AM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I use Pandora radio from my phone and ear buds works good for me . Just keep it low enough so I can still hear the rubble of the motor out the exhaust.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:58 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by Next In Line
I have a Kenwood radio that accepts SD cards, Bluetooth, USB and 1/8 aux input for my car.

No reason for satellite or Internet streaming music as long as you have a good collection of mp3s.
Unless you REALLY like some of the content on Satellite radio. I have more music in the mp3 collection than anybody I know, and I still listen to Sirius in my truck about 50% of the time.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:03 PM
katanaplanet
Banned
Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

why do you need a radio on a bike!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Radio for Softail