Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > General Harley Davidson Forums > General Harley Davidson Chat
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by: J&P Cycles

P

Old 03-07-2010, 08:36 AM
Hang Around
Default Melted cam sensor

Hey, just bought this Fatboy, 1998 with only 9700 miles. It had not really been driven since 2002 since reg tags and state inspection was expired at that time. I had to replace the rocker box gaskets that they was leaking, no problem in that. I took it out for a short ride yesterday for the first time. When coming back to the garage and checking for leaks I noticed this beige plastic/glue coming out the cam cover cable penetration.

Why and what to do ?

Melted cam sensor-cam-sensor.jpg
Old 03-07-2010, 08:48 AM
One Of The Regulars

I have seen them do that when they fail sometimes. I would just replace it
Old 03-07-2010, 10:22 AM
Hang Around

Hmmmm this part 32448-95A is approx 180 at the dealer. This melted stuff is a sealeant only to protect the electronics I assume. Maybe I could just seal it with silicone that are heat resistant ?
Old 03-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Club Member

You could get 32400-80B for $68 and make it work. The only difference is you would have to change the terminals.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Hang Around

i have a 96 heritage softail. cam sensor went out on me last summer. got hot and melted did some price checking at my local hd dealer stock sensor was around 180.00. i decided to not go back with stock. best investment i made was to switch to a single fire ignition completly eliminating the stock cam sensor and ignition module under the seat. i currently have a zipper single fire ignition with a dyna s single fire coil. the ignition has a built in rev limiter settings for racing and settings for different blends of fuel. very easy to install with no need for a timing light. check out www.zipperperformance.com best investment you can make highly recommend.....
RIDE FAST AND TAKE CHANCES
Old 03-07-2010, 06:37 PM
Elite HDF Member

Does it still run correctly? If yes why change it , mine looked like that and was working fine , on my '91 FLSTF, when I stupidly changed it out for single fire and didn't run any better and had sensors go out on the new single fire unit. Left me stranded at the Laughlin River Run. Then had coil problems. Wished I'd left it alone.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Hang Around

Hey, yea still running fine and starting as suppose to. Has though not been running more than a few miles when I saw this problem. Just looking at the total records/recp that the previous original owner gave me. They (harley) changed it as well under warranty when it was at service in 1999 at approx 4500 miles.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:56 PM
Hang Around

Hey, just want to share this info. Just got from the HD dealer where I talked with the service manager. The bike could be running too lean causing the exhaust pipes to be warmer than normal. This will heat up the nose cone that the forward exhaust are running close/right under the nose cone. Will probaly try to screw the mixing screw a 1/4 out making it a little more rich. Should probaly invest in the EZ - mixture screw allowing finger adjustment. Also it would be a good idea to insulate the exhaust pipes with 1/8'' x 1'' glasfiber tape(used on furnace/boiler doors) This can be wrapped around and will be barely visible that the heat shield will be covering it.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:56 PM

P

Tags
bad, cam, camshaft, cost, davidson, gear, harley, ksn, leaking, melted, melting, overheat, reset, sensor, sensors, softail