General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling a trailer with a softail.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 01:06 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pulling a trailer with a softail.

I have seen many aftermarket trailer hitches for softails and since I love to travel two up on my bike I was wondering how stupid I would look pulling a trailer. I know my bike can do it I have just never seen anything less then a full bagger draging a trailer behind it.

So what do you guys think? I know if I want to look stupid it is my own choice and I should just do it. Never been one to please anyone but myself anyways.

BTW this would be the kind of trailer I would pull, except painted of course.
Trailer

Old 07-31-2006, 01:11 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Pulling a trailer with a softail.

I say if ya want to pull one, pull one. It's not like you have a way-forked chopper or anything.

How silly would you look if you piled all the stuff up on the sissy rack and bags. Lookin all homeless and stuff.

Old 07-31-2006, 01:37 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: grunt

I say if ya want to pull one, pull one. It's not like you have a way-forked chopper or anything.

How silly would you look if you piled all the stuff up on the sissy rack and bags. Lookin all homeless and stuff.
Hehehe, that is what we are doing here in a couple of weeks. We will be seriously loaded. Large t bag three roll bags and then the saddlebags. Loaded!

Old 07-31-2006, 01:38 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like a class act to me !!!

Old 07-31-2006, 01:55 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Yellotang

I have seen many aftermarket trailer hitches for softails and since I love to travel two up on my bike I was wondering how stupid I would look pulling a trailer. I know my bike can do it I have just never seen anything less then a full bagger draging a trailer behind it.

So what do you guys think? I know if I want to look stupid it is my own choice and I should just do it. Never been one to please anyone but myself anyways.

BTW this would be the kind of trailer I would pull, except painted of course.
Trailer
I have friends that pull trailers, one with a Heritage Springer. He pulls a Bushtec. Another pulls some other brand. Larger diameter wheels offer a much better riding trailer. Keep in mind that these things are kinda heavy and your fuel mileage and performance will suffer. If your engine is pretty much stock, you'll be downshifting a lot to pass.....and make sure you have PLENTY of time and room to pass someone.
With trailers, you get what you pay for............Bushtec is highly rated and the Uni-Go is as well......but a bit smaller and single wheel. Take a look at their websites.

Old 07-31-2006, 02:43 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Yellotang

ORIGINAL: grunt

Hehehe, that is what we are doing here in a couple of weeks. We will be seriously loaded. Large t bag three roll bags and then the saddlebags. Loaded!
How do you get a cooler on there (like the trailer had)? I've done the vagrant camper thing, but had no room for that. I got a collapsible and bought booze there.

Old 07-31-2006, 02:58 PM
74_ironhead
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the guy who owns the body shop across the street from me pulls a trailer to sturgis behind his dyna WG, I thought it looked fine.

Old 07-31-2006, 07:47 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You wont even know its there other than some trailor to hitch noise.Just remember its behind you when you pick your lane spot.Riding to close to either side will put trailer wheels in other lane or on berm.Watch your speeds as well due to the smaller wheels.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:56 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member

Wow, thanx for the advice guys. I think I will be looking forward to a trailer soon.

Old 08-01-2006, 02:02 AM
DannyDFXWG
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive seen bikes pull trailers before and it seems kinda scary to me like braking and turning and stuff would be real skethy...

Quick Reply: Pulling a trailer with a softail.