General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seafoam in the Crank Oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 12:06 PM
spudislandbiker
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seafoam in the Crank Oil

Hello All;

I'm always skeptical about products that make claims the restore power, etc....

I used some Seafoam in the tank and ran some through the breather. I admit it did make a marginal difference in my Road King. Not dramatic, but noticeable.

That said, I started to research it a bit and learning that it's good to put into the crank as well.

Now I'm on the fence, I don't like adding stuff to the crank oil.

So....

What are your thoughts, opinions, or experiences...

All are welcome.

Thanks

Old 03-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't run it in the crank case. We run heavy oil for a reason, that seafoam probably has the viscosity of water. Zero cushion on friction surfaces. Now turning it over by hand, or maybe a few cranks of the starter with the plugs disconnected..maybe beneficial, but I doubt it is worth it.

Maybe add a few oz to the oil and run it for a min, then drain it? I sure as hell wouldnt put it in and go for a ride.

Last edited by Johnnyiroc; 03-17-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:21 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 306 Likes on 178 Posts

I add Seafoam to the oil in my truck about 100 miles before every 4th oil change (I change the oil every 2500 miles). The oil that comes out during that change noticeably has more carbon in it.

Years ago I had a car that had a leaking valve cover gasket. When I changed it I noticed a lot of carbon build up. Put Seafoam in the oil and ran it for a month (about 2500 miles). When removed the other valve cover it was a lot cleaner inside.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:37 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Just think of it this way, While your thinning out your oil and its washing all that junk out of your motor, its also washing all the protection away.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:38 PM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master

I would be concerned about plugging the oil filter in that situation, if you set free that much crap, its gotta go somewhere...I sure as hell wouldnt drive 2500 miles with a can of that in the oil.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:39 PM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jeff W
Just think of it this way, While your thinning out your oil and its washing all that junk out of your motor, its also washing all the protection away.
Well said.

It is good to use during mosquito season. I suck it up the pcv line in the car and she smokes for 10 minutes like a chimney running off those little bastards.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:39 PM
SaltyHawg
Cruiser

If I did this I would not run it for more than 50 miles or so and I definitely would not run it very hard. I've used it in the gas, oil, and to clean the throttle body in my cars and it works great. You might also try Seafoam for more info.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:40 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Personally.....no way would I ever do that.....

Old 03-17-2010, 12:44 PM
Zap
Club Member

Originally Posted by Johnnyiroc
I wouldn't run it in the crank case. We run heavy oil for a reason, that seafoam probably has the viscosity of water. Zero cushion on friction surfaces. Now turning it over by hand, or maybe a few cranks of the starter with the plugs disconnected..maybe beneficial, but I doubt it is worth it.

Maybe add a few oz to the oil and run it for a min, then drain it? I sure as hell wouldnt put it in and go for a ride.
Just an observation;
How did some of us ever get here without some magical additive. And no, I don't want to hear how good Carrol Shelby says Zmax is, he's getting paid to say what he says, and don't forget it. If your manual says use sea foam, use it. I have never used anything.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:51 PM
rodnock
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a boat motor that got flooded. Put seafoam in the crank oil and ran it for a couple minutes. Drained oil and replaced with new. All the water was gone from crankcase. Other than that use I would Not put it into crankcase.

Quick Reply: Seafoam in the Crank Oil