General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel injected Buell Vtwin - how to make it work?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 04:53 PM
johnye75
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel injected Buell Vtwin - how to make it work?

I am looking at some used Air cooled 2002+ year model of the Buell V-twin engines, around 1200cc, for sale so that I can install in a bobber frame for a bike that I am building. The problem is that the one that I like are fuel injected. They come with the throttle/body and injection system installed between the two cylinders as well as starter gears/clutch. I know how to make a carbureted engine of the same version work and start it but what do I need to make the fuel injected version work? For example, don’t I need a computer or any fuel management or ignition system and how do I connect them, do I need resistor?..., basically what are all the parts that I need to have to put it in my frame and start it? Since the engine uses electronically controlled ignition, do I need to take it to the dealer and program it?? Is it very complicated and I should stay away from fuel injection?

Old 03-31-2010, 06:49 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me thinks this is far beyond the scope of these forums. Yes, you need an ECU. Connecting Fuel management components varies with the specific component you purchase. If you have no experience with computer controls, and even if you do, it can be highly complex and very complicated. Programming, or "tuning" is normally performed on a dyno, again, depending on the fuel management system you're going with.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:52 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior

Did I just fall for the ol' troll in a thread trick?

Old 03-31-2010, 09:25 PM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

if you can wire a head light, you can wire up that engine. You need the fuel injection system and a schematic and some patience. its not that bad. Would be better if you found the stuff from another buell with the same engine....then it would be easy.
I assume 2 or 3 wires to a positioning sensor, a couple for an O2 sensor, Throttle position sensor will have maybe 3 ish....see its not that bad.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:39 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Johnnyiroc
if you can wire a head light, you can wire up that engine. You need the fuel injection system and a schematic and some patience. its not that bad. Would be better if you found the stuff from another buell with the same engine....then it would be easy.
I assume 2 or 3 wires to a positioning sensor, a couple for an O2 sensor, Throttle position sensor will have maybe 3 ish....see its not that bad.
Yeah, tell that to you're friendly neighborhood Harley dealer... they'll probably hook ya right up for a 6-pack.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:31 AM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Take off the original manifold with the injectors attached and sell them. Buy a carburetor and manifold and bolt them on and you should be good to go. Good luck with your project and ride safe out there.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:47 AM
johnye75
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw for sale the original harness for this motor and also the computer. If I just buy those two that should be it, right? One question is: are all the sensors the computer reads in the engine and do you just plug the harness to them? Also, I probably need a fuel pum as it has injectors. I am thinking that once the engine fires-up I will take it to the dealer so that they can re-map the computer to match my exhaust and intake???..., I for sure can't do this myself.

Can I indeed buy a carborator and swap the injectors?
Any other thoughts?

Old 04-01-2010, 12:25 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by johnye75
I saw for sale the original harness for this motor and also the computer. If I just buy those two that should be it, right? One question is: are all the sensors the computer reads in the engine and do you just plug the harness to them? Also, I probably need a fuel pum as it has injectors. I am thinking that once the engine fires-up I will take it to the dealer so that they can re-map the computer to match my exhaust and intake???..., I for sure can't do this myself.

Can I indeed buy a carborator and swap the injectors?
Any other thoughts?
Yes you can, and that also eliminates the fuel pump you'll need in the gas tank for EFI.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:04 AM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

No. There are two more sensors for the computer outside of the engine sensors. There are two Oxygen sensors (O2) that are installed in the exhaust system that are also needed by the EMC to help keep the fuel flow correct. If you plan on keeping the fuel injectors you will need a fuel pump and the fuel pumps are located within the gas tanks so you will need one of those too. I am sure that once you have all of the necessary parts and the wiring harness that you will be able to make the motor run but if you are using the motor to make a Bobber style motorcycle, it may not have the clean look that you are trying for. Using a carburetor will help to make everything simpler to work on and help to achieve that clean old school look too and you can eliminate the computer altogether as you don’t need a computer to use an electronic ignition system. The K.I.S.S. system generally works well on many things and it is also generally cheaper too! Good luck on your project bike. Post up some pictures when you can and ride safe out there.