General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rust on bolts

Old 08-08-2006, 02:47 AM
BigGeorge
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust on bolts

My street glide is 6 months old, never seen rain and the damn cadium plated allen bolts that they use for the tranny cover, lifter blocks and the primary cover are starting to rust already. Its been hot and humid here in the north east for a couple of weeks now so I know thats part of the problem but whats the solution, replace them with chrome ones? The rest of the bike looks so nice and then you see these *** ugly rusting bolts. I'm sure I'm not the only one out there with this problem Has anyone done anything outher than replace them with chrome? Your ideas and suggestions appreciated..................BG

Old 08-08-2006, 03:06 AM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Rust on bolts

Hey Bro, I hate to say it, but it's downhill from there. I spent 2 months on the coast of NC and during that time the bolts and the bag guards rusted, the finish on the fork legs and wheels pitted and the natural polished engine pieces all stained to a point of no return. I washed, waxed, and chome polished the metal bits twice a week to no avail. The heat and humidity of the coast was too much and all in the first year of ownership. The dealer said 'too bad-normal'....

Old 08-08-2006, 03:22 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

chrome

Old 08-08-2006, 04:24 AM
Qball
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup gonna rust.

Old 08-08-2006, 12:43 PM
Flying Pilgrim
Road Master

They also have those fancy little nut/bolt covers with the H-D logo on them in several different styles. I always thought they were just another nik-knack (sp?), but sounds like you found a good reason to get a set.

Old 08-08-2006, 12:47 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

clean the rust with metal cleaner/polish and then coat with clear finger nail polish. applicator comes in the bottle.

Old 08-09-2006, 07:06 PM
4x4Given
Tourer

Stainless steel bolts might be an option.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:54 PM
steib
Stage I

I coat mine with a mxture of one part chain saw oil and three parts WD-40. Rub it in and wipe of the excess. What remains has kept my bolts and parts from rusting.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:21 PM
DocHarley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: sleepneagle

clean the rust with metal cleaner/polish and then coat with clear finger nail polish. applicator comes in the bottle.
sleepneagle's way is the best way if you do not want to replace them with chrome ones. My chrome ones look great after 5 years. My stock ones are in my spare bolts box rusting away to ablivia. [8D]

Old 10-19-2007, 06:57 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My bike is 3 years old and has no signs of rust. I live in SW Florida, which is definitely hot and humid. Every nut and bolt has a chrome hottoppercovering it, which is either protecting the bolts from the humidityand salt air or maybe they are just covering up rusted bolts, either waythey look good.
The dealers down here tell you to chrome the front forks,or they will rust as you get chips in them.
Tom

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rust on bolts