General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about buying a trailer to haul my bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 06:37 PM
junkyardscrounger
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Thinking about buying a trailer to haul my bike

I am seriously thinking about buying a slide in camper for my truck and when I go camping the bike must come along so it looks like I will need to find a trailer too,I dont know wheather to buy a motorcycle only trailer or buy a car trailer and modify it to haul my bike. Since I will need to haul cars too modifying a car trailer might be the best option as I dont want to buy license for multiple trailers,anybody in a similar situation and what have you done.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:46 PM
HarleyInspired89
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my motorcycle trailer from craigslist and couldn't be happier. There are some great deals there. I would suggest getting a motorcycle trailer unless you plan on also using the trailer to haul cars.

Good luck!

Old 05-09-2010, 08:01 PM
trapper_canada
Cruiser

One must always look at how much and what for when deciding on a trailer. If you decided on something just for your motorcycle it would likely be small, light, and easy to tow....and easy on gas.

If you use a car hauler for a bike trailer it would be much heavier.

A buddy of mine had a car hauler and he had some metal plate welded in between the car tire rails. He fabricated a ramp system. It worked but he found that he was using 90+% of the trailer miles on a bike...he then bought a small aluminum one for his bike...said the savings in gas more than paid for it...this was a few years ago and he trailers the bike away from the winter here to Arizona....

Old 05-09-2010, 08:02 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

You can get some good deals on utility trailers. They come in handy when you need to haul other stuff too. If you get the rigth size you can also haul two bikes instead of one. You'll pay more for a motorcycle trailer that's made for two bikes. You can probably pick up a new utility trailer for under $500.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:51 PM
junkyardscrounger
Tourer

I need two trailers and would like to have one do both functions but I could try to buy one license and try to use it on multiple trailers and see if I can get by doing it.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:55 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

An 8x18 flatbed would do both nicely. Might look strange with just one bike on it. Have you thought about an enclosed car hauler? Install some overhead cabinets, an air conditioner and heater. Put hide a bed, fridge, lower cabinets and TV in it when your camping and still have room for a couple bikes.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:11 PM
junkyardscrounger
Tourer

I have thought about a enclosed trailer and can go that route,maybe get one large enough I can haul a car and the bike.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:54 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a enclosed trailer converted to camp in and haul the bikes. With an awning and generator it is comfortable. I take a cook stove, couple of tables and enjoy the trip. Roof a/c , two windows, roll out carpet and some lighting. My trailer is a 12x6x6. No wind drag behind the truck and pulls good. Fairly cheap camping with comforts.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:20 PM
rdp58
Novice

I have a 9 1/2 foot Lance in a 8 foot bed. I use an 18 inch hitch extension to pull a 6X12 enclosed trailer. I wish I had bought a 7X12 trailer. I don't think I would like to pull any longer or heavier trailer than what I have. So the big question is how big of slide in camper do you want? If you get a smaller camper you can pull a larger trailer.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:05 PM
HarleyInspired89
Novice

That trailer from craigslist I got is a two motorcycle capacity one and was only $300.

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying a trailer to haul my bike