General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One off custom saddlebags?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 07:05 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts
Default One off custom saddlebags?

I know, I know, theres a huge selection of great saddlebags available for our bikes, but I just don't like the same old dreary parts. So I found a custom tack shop that hand makes saddlebags for a variety of applications and contacted them. They go by the name of Akers Ranch. They are a bunch of Amish and Mennonites that hand make horse tack and other leather stuff. For 300 bucks they hand made a very unique set of "one-off" saddlebags made of the toughest saddle leather I have ever seen. Stiff solid leather, hand tooled designs, silver hardware and 100% American made. I'm stuck at work so I won't be able to get them mounted up till tomorrow. Since my bike is purple, I chose this color, but they come in a variety of colors including the most common black. Every order is basically a special order that they make to whatever specs you give them. In my case I wanted 12 inches tall, 15 inches wide and 6 inches deep with custom hand tooling. Perfect for a medium sized bike like my Dyna, but they will make them any size, any design, any color....any way you like. Since they are Amish and Mennonites, they aren't all about technology. So it took me about two weeks to get them made and shipped, but what the heck. Here they are. Just wanted to pass their info on with some pictures. I can post them up mounted in a couple days if anyone is interested.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:08 AM
Snake Charmer
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm impressed.
what is there contact info?
How do they secure to the bike?

Old 05-12-2010, 07:13 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

do you have a brown seat to match?

Old 05-12-2010, 07:18 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

I found them on ebay through there store. Thats how I contacted them. I saw these bags and asked if they could make a bigger set like them for my bike.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SADDLE-BAGS-HAND...item3eff1ccb63

No, I don't have a brown seat, but I am planning on a brown seat as soon as I pull her apart to repaint her. Probablly a brown spring solo and p-pad. But the wife may have issues with that. We'll see. I have mounts on the bike now that I will use, but EZ brackets would be the best way to mount them I suppose.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:28 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Dam focking nice.

The price aint bad for what you get.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:12 AM
roofer
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those are very nice, how are you liken your Springer front end it sure looks good

Old 05-12-2010, 08:49 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks. The Springer is an interesting story. The bike is once again apart. I bought a Paughco Springer. I liked the DNA enough. I really liked the style of the Springer, but I just was not completely satisfied with the reduced turning radius you get when you put the DNA on a Dyna neck. Paughco makes a Springer that fixes the problem as well as adds a shock. And of course, Paughco is top shelf American made stuff, not cheap chinese knockoffs. Now, the DNA ain't bad for the money, but the reduced turning radius just was bugging me. When I get the Paughco completed, I'll have a better comparison. Then I'll get the bags on, repaint the sheetmetal and mount up the dresser fender. THEN.........maybe she'll be finished.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:51 AM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good deal. Thanks for the referral. It is in my favorites file.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:29 AM
Late Bloomer
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great looking bags!! Be sure to post pics after you get them mounted. Also would like more info on how you mount them.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:34 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,388 Likes on 21,384 Posts

Very western...

Quick Reply: One off custom saddlebags?