General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will HD ever adopt Water Cooling?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 07:25 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by locodude
Won't be soon enough for me. I love everything about my 09 ultra except the dang heat this thing puts off. I live in a small town with 6 traffic lights on main street and in yesterdays 96 degree heat by the time I got to the last one my leg was ready for some bbq sauce. The rear cylinder cut off device (I forget it's name) worked flawlessly and the bike itself performed just fine but dang these things are hot.
Yes H-D will market a water cooled bike. Call it the H2O glide, water glide etc... The water cooled beast is on the test track in Yucca and the push is on to get it on the street. Relax air cooled finger wavers. The MoCo will continue to serve you.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:30 PM
Bike-R-Mike
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand the frustration with the Twin Cam engine, but Harley does not gain anything by building japanese water-cooled bikes. There's plenty of them available already
I agree . If you want your bike to run cooler then put an air intake and pipes on it that can breath . That will make it run cooler . I wouldn't buy a water cooled Harley . My Evo runs just fine in the heat .

Old 06-08-2010, 07:37 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rat1
Nope, Honda does not make what I want. Their styling does not even come close to the styling of the Harley Batwing bikes. Ie the Electraglide Classic, Streetglide or the Ultra or even the dreaded Shark Ie the Roadglide.

Liquidclooling is not just about rider comfort it is just one of the benefits. It is about building a motor that will put out compairable power to the metrics while still meeting emission standards.

Some people worry about the looks. I am not an engineer by trade but give me the equipment and funding and I will make a liquid cooled twin that the only sign that it has any type of liquid cooling would be a minimalist radiator stuffed between the down tubes.

Some worry about the extra weight. We are talking about maybe a gallon of coolant, some rubber hoses or even braided steel hoses and a light weight aluminum radiator. Ten pounds at best. The cylinders would look the same except the cooling fins may not be as deep.
So, you only ride a Harley because of the styling. To me, that's a pretty weak reason to buy any product.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,346 Likes on 3,280 Posts

Originally Posted by Jade Dragon
So people with kick starters don't have a reliable bike? Im not sure I follow you there. I never had a problem with the kick on my first bike. I have had a problem with the electric starter on my current bike though and finally had to replace it.
I have had problems with starters on my Harley and 2 metrics...My leg still works fine...Kick starters rock.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:42 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,346 Likes on 3,280 Posts

Originally Posted by scoteh
Just gotta say it again: Honda already makes what some of you want. Go buy one, they'll be more than glad to sell you one. They make nice bikes.

And, I gotta ask again: Why did you buy a Harley if you don't like the general principle of their design?
LOL...you remember the quote.... You meet the nicest people on a Honda..

Old 06-08-2010, 07:55 PM
ernofsteel007
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm well some things'll never change, the greybeards waved their fists n gnashed their teeth when harley went to electric start, the greybeards waved their fists n gnashed their teeth when harley went to EFI, the greybeards will wave their fists n gnash their teeth over ANY change from the harley of their youth and guess what?
Harley will still sell to a new generation of harley riders who want more HP, more torque, higher rev capability and will jump at a chance to own stock 140 to 200 HP Harley that liquid cooling can offer. Harley wants the younger market drop a liquid cooled 1125cc stock 146 HP Buell into the Sportster and they got it.

Last edited by ernofsteel007; 06-08-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:58 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ernofsteel007
Hmmm well some things'll never change, the greybeards waved their fists n gnashed their teeth when harley went to electric start, the greybeards waved their fists n gnashed their teeth when harley went to EFI, the greybeards will wave their fists n gnash their teeth over ANY change from the harley of their youth and guess what?
Harley will still sell to a new generation of harley riders who want more HP, more torque, higher rev capability and will jump at a chance to own stock 140 to 200 HP Harley that liquid cooling can offer. Harley wants the younger market drop a liquid cooled 1125cc stock 146 HP Buell into the Sportster and they got it.
I like your post.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:11 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
LOL...you remember the quote.... You meet the nicest people on a Honda..

I love the dudes who think that to be a greybeard means that you're idiot. Ya'll keep on hoping that you live to be a greybeard.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:16 AM
lownslow
Road Master
Received 110 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
Harley has been using "water cooling" for a long time now.

Here's 2 water cooled Harley's right here:

Now that's funny Shu........been there.........

Old 06-09-2010, 05:14 AM
Rat1
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scoteh
So, you only ride a Harley because of the styling. To me, that's a pretty weak reason to buy any product.
Well I did not buy this for performance reasons. I don't care for the swoopy spacey look of the metric scooters in this segment or the victory line in this segment. I spent the better part of two years looking at bikes of all makes and nothing gave me that "feeling" as the Electraglide did.

Attached Thumbnails Will HD ever adopt Water Cooling?-0524091538a.jpg   Will HD ever adopt Water Cooling?-0325101836a.jpg  

Quick Reply: Will HD ever adopt Water Cooling?