General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Personal credit card purchase of HD Bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 09:59 PM
Chicagosong
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Personal credit card purchase of HD Bike

Tried searching up and down for this... but anyone with personal experience or any HD Employees know if there is any reason why a HD dealership wouldn't let me use one of my Visa/Mastercards to purchse my bike?

I'm very close to a nice airline reward, and don't want to start a debate over personal finance (I have cash but would prefer to purchase on my credit card and pay off next month), but I haven't been able to google or find on my own anyone who knows one way or the other on the matter.

Thanks!

Old 06-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Fat Henry
Road Warrior

Because it costs them 3% to use your card and that will cut down profit. Most stores will have a limit on how much you charge on your credit card.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Gonzy
Gonzy
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The only thing that I can think of would be the discount that the dealership would have to pay the card issuer for that size purchase. There might be something in the merchant agreement with Visa or Master charge that might prevent it. I'd be interested to know the answer myself.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:07 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I was told they wouldn't do it. Wasn't told why.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:15 PM
JLOX
Tourer

Had a buddy pick up his bike on a credit card, but he had also purchased several bikes in the last few years.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:16 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

thats bs. if you've got the limit, they should run the charge. it would be one thing if they didn't accept visa/mc at all, but if they accept it, they should accept all the charges (i understand the $5.00 min, but not the max)

i do know my brother in law put a hd on his credit card, so some will do it.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:18 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I am surprised they wouldn't......did they actually tell you no or are you asking in advance?

If you have the limit available, not sure they can unless it is one of the little fine print things in the card rules.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Chicagosong
Advanced

Originally Posted by skratch
thats bs. if you've got the limit, they should run the charge. it would be one thing if they didn't accept visa/mc at all, but if they accept it, they should accept all the charges (i understand the $5.00 min, but not the max)

i do know my brother in law put a hd on his credit card, so some will do it.
Thats what I was thinking Skratch. Logically it seems like they wouldn't care. Well, looks like we still have no definitive answer.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:20 PM
yyzbiker
Stage III
Default Hey

That sounds odd. I bought a car with my debit card, At first the sales guy thought i was kidding i assured him i wasn't, so we went ahead with it.
The only thing i can think of is that C.C wont allow to much liability, stolen card, fake or you wont pay it off and vanish with the bike.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:25 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It is because they make money off of the financing company, but lose money on credit card purchases. The out the door price now depends on weather or not you finance the bike or pay cash. I asked about purchasing a Soft Tail for the OL, and the cash discount on a 19K bike was $400.00, but I could buy the same bike (with financing) at 1K under MSRP ($17,xxx)

Quick Reply: Personal credit card purchase of HD Bike