General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

White wall disposable wipes review.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 08:45 PM
Rockyriver
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default White wall disposable wipes review.

I made a post about 2 weeks ago about if someone knew of any disposable white wall wipes to clean my white walls on my bike. and was told of this company.
http://www.whitewallwipes.net/catego...p?CategoryID=1

I ordered some to try them out and this is my findings. They clean the whitewalls good, however the soap or cleaner on the wipes gets on the chrome of the rims and leaves a film and I have too then clean the rims with a clean paper towel or rag. The soap or cleaner on the wipes have no smell, so I am guessing that it is some sort of alkali, like 409. You have to wipe real hard on the White walls but it will get off most stains or dirt.
So my opinion is save money and get some spray cleaner like 409 Industrial (Greased Lightning cleanser is to harsh IMHO) and spray it on a cloth, wipe the tire and then rewipe it with a dry cloth. If you want a quick easy way to clean your tires, without a garden hose.
I know that the Mr. Clean erasers work good and so does Ajax and a scrub brush with a garden hose. However sometimes I just don't have the time to do a proper cleaning and need a simple quick way.

Last edited by Rockyriver; 06-14-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:47 PM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just use gasoline on a paper towel or cloth.One swipe and they are white less than 30 seconds a side.Just keep it off the black.Good to go.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:32 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Those Mr. clean erasers are popular here. I use Comet on mine.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:00 AM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 135 Likes on 54 Posts

Everyone has their favorite cleaning rituals. I use Westley's Bleach White on mine when I wash the bike (my bobber has www's on it). spray on, scrub with either a brush or a green scotchbrite pad, rinse. Made for cleaning white walls and is the best I have found. Brillo pads also work well.

I never tried the Westley's on a dry rag tho in between washings, not sure how it would work, may try it for 'touch ups', but not sure I'd like the residue left behind on the tire.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:09 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks for the review. Boy, if you guys saw my white walls which I consider to be pretty clean you would probably freak. The cleaning ritual on them is wearing me down. I am actually thinking of new rims with black walls.

Drew

Old 06-15-2010, 09:24 AM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've only cleaned mine a couple of times in the six months I've had WWW's. The longest time between was the first time. They looked mighty grungy before I cleaned them, but I could have lived with dirty whites a while longer if I had too. Everyone knew they were wide whites despite the fact they didn't look too white. It just looked to be a well ridden bike, which it is!

Old 06-15-2010, 09:25 AM
fladawg01
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default white Walls

Problem with using abrasives like commet or other harsh materials, is you wear the white off, eventually uou will see darker areas appearing.

I use Wesleys bleach white as this basically bleaches the white clean. It still requires a little brush work, but isn't harsh on the white.

The other day (I'm still running stock rims) I had a ton of brake dust build up and used an aluminum cleaner on the rims. Sprayed it on, rinsed with water and it actually cleaned my white walls as well! Saved me some scrubbing! I used Eagle One Aluminum Wheel Cleaner.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:14 PM
cchips
Ultimate HDF Member

I always sprayed WD-40 on them and then wiped it off with a dry rag. Worked great. I never had a problem with getting everywhere, it was not caustic, and was readily available. The Westley's is pretty caustic. No I had no problems with the wheels being slippery. I did not spray it on the tread, nor on the brake pads!

Old 06-15-2010, 03:21 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 943 Posts

These modern chemicals may be fine for some. However, I am shocked to see so many riders too lazy to clean white walls the old fashioned way:

Have one of your kids do it.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:38 PM
bigstevex4
Tourer

First tome i put tires on either of my bikes the white walls were no more. way to much unnessasery work.

Quick Reply: White wall disposable wipes review.