General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Operating, Alarm and Parade Mode temps?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 01:57 AM
Steelguy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Operating, Alarm and Parade Mode temps?

My 07 Fatboy with V&H Straight Shot slip ons and SE Stage 1 AF had a head temp today of 335 in stop and go in 85 degree temps. My Zippers temp alarm went off at 330 and I believe the bike went into Heat management / Parade mode (irregular idle). I just had it Dyno'd the other day with a Master Tune and the ECM adjusted.

Does the engine infact shut down when it hits a certain temp and if so what is that temp. What temp does it go into Parade mode? I don't know of any other problems with the bike, it had fresh fluids, plugs, AF etc and I checked it for vacuum leaks around the intakes etc. What is the normal operating temps range and what is the danger zone? Will it infact shut down before burning up? Could my Dyno tuner have set this thing too lean or hot?

Any suggestions out there? I sure would appreciate some insight.

Steel

Old 07-11-2010, 07:40 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Steelguy
My 07 Fatboy with V&H Straight Shot slip ons and SE Stage 1 AF had a head temp today of 335 in stop and go in 85 degree temps. My Zippers temp alarm went off at 330 and I believe the bike went into Heat management / Parade mode (irregular idle). I just had it Dyno'd the other day with a Master Tune and the ECM adjusted.

Does the engine infact shut down when it hits a certain temp and if so what is that temp. What temp does it go into Parade mode? I don't know of any other problems with the bike, it had fresh fluids, plugs, AF etc and I checked it for vacuum leaks around the intakes etc. What is the normal operating temps range and what is the danger zone? Will it infact shut down before burning up? Could my Dyno tuner have set this thing too lean or hot?

Any suggestions out there? I sure would appreciate some insight.

Steel

The TTS Master Tune allows adjustment of the AFR down into the 13's. It doesn't sound as though the tuner set the new ECM map correctly. My currently stock FLHX didn't run hot enough last week when we were hitting the 90's to kick into parade mode, but I wasn't in extremely heavy traffic, just moderate road construction traffic stop, sit and go again for about 3 miles here and 2 miles there. I just turned 1000 miles on her and have not put Syn in her yet either. Thats happening today. l don't know what temp causes the parade mode to kick in, somebody else in the know I'm sure will answer that, but I can say that the Master Tune is capable and should be doing a better job of controlling those temps.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:34 AM
Softy 103
Banned
Received 259 Likes on 168 Posts

What year did they start putting the parade mode capability on ? And does this still work if you have a sert?

Old 07-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Ultra110
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tuner probably did fine. This is an air cooled engine and will heat up. 330 or so is no major problem for the head temperature. It is telling you hey I need more cooling! Time to get some airflow or pull over and let it cool for a few. you have to remember EGT on a gas engine will be around 450 C and up (depending on compression and mixture among other things) so 840+ F. I have seen them climb well over 1000F. 1900 + in diesel applications (don't tell Cat) They will be in the lower range at an idle or slow speed low throttle manuvers. With limited air flow head temps will be in the 300s and higher range. Having said that being an air cooled engine it will overheat if run long enough without enough airflow. You should be more concerned with the oil temp as this is what is going to transfer the heat and cool the motor in these situations. Oil temps below 250 are considered ok with higher temps experienced under harsher conditions, high ambient heat, low airflow, higher engine load. Synthetic oil will not 'cool' your engine any more than regular base stock oil but the theory is it will hold up better to higher heat before breaking down.
Yes the parade mode will still work with a SERT but it has to be enabled through the software. Parade mode triggers the Engine management system at 285 degrees I think.

Last edited by Ultra110; 07-12-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:06 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra110
The tuner probably did fine. This is an air cooled engine and will heat up. 330 or so is no major problem for the head temperature. It is telling you hey I need more cooling! Time to get some airflow or pull over and let it cool for a few. you have to remember EGT on a gas engine will be around 450 C and up (depending on compression and mixture among other things) so 840+ F. I have seen them climb well over 1000F. 1900 + in diesel applications (don't tell Cat) They will be in the lower range at an idle or slow speed low throttle manuvers. With limited air flow head temps will be in the 300s and higher range. Having said that being an air cooled engine it will overheat if run long enough without enough airflow. You should be more concerned with the oil temp as this is what is going to transfer the heat and cool the motor in these situations. Oil temps below 250 are considered ok with higher temps experienced under harsher conditions, high ambient heat, low airflow, higher engine load. Synthetic oil will not 'cool' your engine any more than regular base stock oil but the theory is it will hold up better to higher heat before breaking down.
Yes the parade mode will still work with a SERT but it has to be enabled through the software. Parade mode triggers the Engine management system at 285 degrees I think.

Thanks for the insight. Good info. And a big thank you for your service! You make us all proud!!!!

Old 07-13-2010, 01:34 PM
Ultra110
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rickr01
Thanks for the insight. Good info. And a big thank you for your service! You make us all proud!!!!
That would be a pic of my son before he deployed to Iraq. I never did go military but stayed with the fire service. I will pass on your thanks!

Old 07-13-2010, 02:02 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine got hot in DC in those 100+ days in traffic it kick in and jump around at idle. Hit the road it was fine took a bit of riding to cool it down with 100+ outside.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:55 PM
Steelguy
2nd Gear

I took it back to the tuner and picked his brain a little. He is saying it's all good, the heads can get up to 360-70 at times. It is almost 90 here today and even while riding the bike ( not stopped) the head temp was near 330 degrees.

Does this seem right to you? He did recommend an oil cooler, said it will give me up to 30 more minutes of stop and go before it goes into Parade Mode. One big question, does anyone know what temp the bike will shut down? How hot is too hot?

Thanks, Steel

Old 07-14-2010, 08:29 PM
aceckel
Intermediate

+1 on the oil cooler recommendation. Your temps, while high, are normal. I installed a Jagg six row horizontal oil cooler on my 2010 FLSTFB. $$$ well spent, very nice product, zero leaks, pretty easy to install, and its lowered my oil temp ~25F. Just curious, how are you measuring head temp?

Old 07-14-2010, 11:07 PM
Steelguy
2nd Gear

I appreciate your info!

Head temp is shown on my speedometer, a Zippers aftermarket. I believe it to be accurate.

Quick Reply: Operating, Alarm and Parade Mode temps?