General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What makes a Bobber a Bobber?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 10:16 AM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 135 Likes on 54 Posts

when I 'bobbed' my roadstar last winter, I stripped everything off of it that was damaged from the accident, plus a lot of other stuff, and starting rebuilding it. hardest part seemed to be to know when to quit putting stuff back on. I would guestimate I cut at least 60 lbs of crap off of it by the time it was done. I blacked out some stuff, but probably still more chrome on it than some bobbers out there, but hey it's my creation so it can be whatever I wanted.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:48 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 943 Posts

An alternative definition to what makes a bobber is that remove one part and you no longer have a legal, functioning motorcycle.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:52 AM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i would like to see a real reference to "bobbers" that predates the year 2000. i think bobbers are "olds cool" modern because i've been into bikes my whole life and i never heard anyone talk about a bobber untill a few years ago.

maybe they're like diggers and just dropped completely out of existence. i dunno. i just have a hard time recalling any reference to bobbers in the past 40 years.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:33 PM
softail04
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Certainteed
i would like to see a real reference to "bobbers" that predates the year 2000. i think bobbers are "olds cool" modern because i've been into bikes my whole life and i never heard anyone talk about a bobber untill a few years ago.

maybe they're like diggers and just dropped completely out of existence. i dunno. i just have a hard time recalling any reference to bobbers in the past 40 years.
have to agree I'm 69 and been riding and doing bike related stuff most of that time and never heardthe word bobber till just the last few years. everthing we had was either full dress, chopped or just a stocker.

choppers to me were a frame, engine ,trans, gas tank,front forks,tires/wheels ape hangers just the bare essentials.never had a key toggle switch took care of ign. and light. oh ya forgot suicide clutch and jocky shift. was a great time to have a harley..

Attached Thumbnails What makes a Bobber a Bobber?-knuckle.jpg  
Old 07-12-2010, 06:34 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by softail04
have to agree I'm 69 and been riding and doing bike related stuff most of that time and never heardthe word bobber till just the last few years. everthing we had was either full dress, chopped or just a stocker.

choppers to me were a frame, engine ,trans, gas tank,front forks,tires/wheels ape hangers just the bare essentials.never had a key toggle switch took care of ign. and light. oh ya forgot suicide clutch and jocky shift. was a great time to have a harley..
Maybe it's just a Southern thing, but I can remember "bob-jobs" called that and built the way you describe a "chopper" from the mid-50s here. My Dad and his pals always rode stripped down bikes (like mine) with only the bare essentials. Lower the weight, use some 80" wheels, maybe an XA fork. The idea being to zip around the mountains quicker with better handling. They all laughted at the "choppers" of the 70s.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:51 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i think geography plays a big role in what people build. i coudn't imagine crossing the desert on a quick-steering drag racing bike.

nor would i want to drag my pipes around mountain curves on a stretched-out low-riding machine.

ive been toying with the idea of a rally-running bike. it will be the ugliest bike ever, but thats because i'm building it with a purpose.

but to get back to the "bobber" word.... i'm pretty sure the term originates in europe and not in the us. thats where i first heard the term used to describe a lot of bsa truimphs etc that were stripped down to the essentials.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:02 PM
ppablog
Intermediate
Thumbs up Bobbers

Check out my profile. I read and write a little about history, general information, models, etc. There's some info there that might help you out - references and credits are mentioned where appropriate.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:05 PM
ppablog
Intermediate
Thumbs up Bobbers

Originally Posted by Certainteed
i think geography plays a big role in what people build. i coudn't imagine crossing the desert on a quick-steering drag racing bike.

nor would i want to drag my pipes around mountain curves on a stretched-out low-riding machine.

ive been toying with the idea of a rally-running bike. it will be the ugliest bike ever, but thats because i'm building it with a purpose.

but to get back to the "bobber" word.... i'm pretty sure the term originates in europe and not in the us. thats where i first heard the term used to describe a lot of bsa truimphs etc that were stripped down to the essentials.
Your'e correct!

Old 07-14-2010, 12:08 PM
ppablog
Intermediate

here's a link that might help
bobbers

Old 07-14-2010, 12:19 PM
dnebout
Cruiser

Nice link!!!

Quick Reply: What makes a Bobber a Bobber?