General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What makes a Bobber a Bobber?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 08:56 PM
dnebout
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What makes a Bobber a Bobber?

So maybe a dumb question, but I'm 3 months into my first Harley and can't quite understand what makes a Bobber a Bobber?

You look at the Street Bob with a rounded rear fender, then you hear I bobbed my fender (cut it), and then you look at a FXDF and the fender is like a a "**** Swoop"? Correct me if I'm wrong on any of these descriptions, but which is it and more importantly what is it?

Thanks!
Dave

Old 07-11-2010, 09:32 PM
StreetGlider57
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both bobbers and choppers are cycle styles where the bikes look like they were modified by their owners away from the stock appearance. Bobbers, unlike choppers, keep the bike frames stock and remove what is not considered necessary. The desired look is a minimalistic style without a lot of chrome. Often the front and rear fenders have been removed or shortened to give them a "bobbed" look. The seats are small and there is not a lot of chrome. Choppers, on the other hand, started out also where their owners started to remove or chop away at what was not need. But over time, they began to get some signiture features such as the extended fork, modifed frame and very uncomforatable seat. Harley, along with other manufacturers, have come out with models that have tried to copy the "bobbed" look or at least take some styling hints from the bobber originals. Can a true bobbed cycle come off the assembly line? I don't really know. Are Big Dog cycles really choppers?

Last edited by StreetGlider57; 07-11-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:41 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

differnt part of the country are a little diff on what they are.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:48 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally bobbing a fender was simply removing the hinged portion of the fender. A more finished look was welding the hinge and cutting a similar amount off the front of the fender. This left you with (approximately) the look of a FXST rear.

These days bob, bobbed and bobber have become generic like "Hi-Fi" was in the '60s and really means whatever you want it to. Welcome to the forum.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:13 PM
dnebout
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Good info put out in those posts.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:17 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

I looked it up again and found its the girl,, maybe she bob's..????????

Attached Thumbnails What makes a Bobber a Bobber?-bobber-hl.jpg  
Old 07-12-2010, 06:51 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetGlider57
Both bobbers and choppers are cycle styles where the bikes look like they were modified by their owners away from the stock appearance. Bobbers, unlike choppers, keep the bike frames stock and remove what is not considered necessary. The desired look is a minimalistic style without a lot of chrome. Often the front and rear fenders have been removed or shortened to give them a "bobbed" look. The seats are small and there is not a lot of chrome. Choppers, on the other hand, started out also where their owners started to remove or chop away at what was not need. But over time, they began to get some signiture features such as the extended fork, modifed frame and very uncomforatable seat. Harley, along with other manufacturers, have come out with models that have tried to copy the "bobbed" look or at least take some styling hints from the bobber originals. Can a true bobbed cycle come off the assembly line? I don't really know. Are Big Dog cycles really choppers?
I was bobbing my bikes before I ever knew they were called Bobbers,all for the sake of speed.Only once tried running without front fender,not for this cat ate too much dirt,and riding in the rain sucked.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:16 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Old 07-12-2010, 09:31 AM
bparsel
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The closest thing HD has to a true "Bobber" direct from the factory is the new "48"

Old 07-12-2010, 10:02 AM
SG 1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by oct1949
I looked it up again and found its the girl,, maybe she bob's..????????

If she is, Bob did real good.

Quick Reply: What makes a Bobber a Bobber?