General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Decision

Old 07-29-2010, 09:13 PM
MadBassis622
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Decision

Hello All,

I just bought my first Harley (2010 Street Bob). I really want to hit the ground running and make this bike my own creation. I decided to start with the sound. I have heard and read about slip ons, so my first question is: Are they worth it? My second question would be: what brand is the best? I have heard a lot about Screamin Eagles and most recently Vance and Hines. Thoughts? Other brands that I have seen are Rinehart, Rush, Samson and Python. Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!!!!!

Old 07-29-2010, 09:33 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Dont waste your time with slip-ons unless your cash strapped after the purchase of the bike. You'll end up replacing them anyway. Go with a full 2-1 system. If you want to look and sound like everyone else, Thunderheader. If you want to be different and still look cool, D&D Fatcat. If you really want to be different, Supertrapp (but nobody around here likes those but me, so forget I mentioned it)

Old 07-29-2010, 09:36 PM
HillBilly73
Tourer

All the ones you listed are good ones. I think the V&H exhausts ar my favorite for sound and quality, i've had them on 4 diffrent bikes no issues. in the end exhausts are a personal choice almost as much as the "what oil to use". Like I said all the ones you listed are good so, look to see which one speaks to you most and go with it.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:36 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Welcome aboard. D&D fat cat all the way. one of the top 3 performers bar none!

Old 07-29-2010, 09:38 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kk6pg
Dont waste your time with slip-ons unless your cash strapped after the purchase of the bike. You'll end up replacing them anyway.

Of course.........with true duals or 2-1 you also need to look at the air intake (opening up) and a tuner. Let the mods begin! On 2nd thought, maybe you better stick with slip-ons and ride it a few months and then decide. You can generally get 75% of your slip-on cost back on ebay anyway.

Confused? Welcome!!

Old 07-29-2010, 09:40 PM
junior07
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by kk6pg
Dont waste your time with slip-ons unless your cash strapped after the purchase of the bike. You'll end up replacing them anyway. Go with a full 2-1 system. If you want to look and sound like everyone else, Thunderheader. If you want to be different and still look cool, D&D Fatcat. If you really want to be different, Supertrapp (but nobody around here likes those but me, so forget I mentioned it)
every one does it their own way. i wanted a harley sound and wanted it fast and cheap. For about $300 installed I got the V&H slip ons. Yjey Sound great.

I decided to do things a bit differenlty than most on these forums. I knew I wanted perfromance, and I knew i wanted sound. I could't wait for the sound, so about a month after i got the bike I had the SE stage 1 Air Cleaner and the slip ons installed. I probably gained about 10 hp and 10 ft# torque with that.

Then over the winter I had my stock 96 bored out to 103 and had the andrews cams put in and the PCV. I had it dynod and it pulls 92 hp and 104 ft# torque.

When i have the cash I intend to do some real headwork and get a complete set of pipes.

Soooo... to answer your initial question, you can get a good sound with the Vance & Hines slip ons and wait to do the things you think are important later.

By the way, you can get a huge performace boost just in the cams alone. to the guys creaming over their pipes, i say, looks cool, but "wanna race!"

Last edited by junior07; 07-29-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:55 AM
95custmz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by junior07
every one does it their own way. i wanted a harley sound and wanted it fast and cheap. For about $300 installed I got the V&H slip ons. Yjey Sound great.

I decided to do things a bit differenlty than most on these forums. I knew I wanted perfromance, and I knew i wanted sound. I could't wait for the sound, so about a month after i got the bike I had the SE stage 1 Air Cleaner and the slip ons installed. I probably gained about 10 hp and 10 ft# torque with that.

Then over the winter I had my stock 96 bored out to 103 and had the andrews cams put in and the PCV. I had it dynod and it pulls 92 hp and 104 ft# torque.

When i have the cash I intend to do some real headwork and get a complete set of pipes.

Soooo... to answer your initial question, you can get a good sound with the Vance & Hines slip ons and wait to do the things you think are important later.

By the way, you can get a huge performace boost just in the cams alone. to the guys creaming over their pipes, i say, looks cool, but "wanna race!"

I'll race your A$$. Bring it!

Old 07-30-2010, 04:00 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Start here and listen to the different ones, You can refine the search in whatever direction you want to go. Go to a bike night and listen to different bikes and see what the ones you like are running. The best pipe for your bike is the one that you like the best. http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=harley+davidson+exhaust+sound s&aq=0

Old 07-30-2010, 06:06 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rinehart gets my vote. I love mine.

Shakey

Old 07-30-2010, 09:29 AM
VsTheWorld
Road Master

Originally Posted by junior07

for about $100 more (b/c I also added quiet baffles) I put the full V&H straightshots on mine

I prefer the clean look of one piece heatshields, and keeping the 2-2 matches the style of the bob better (or at least it does in my mind)

lots of choices - slip ons just look like what they are - quick add-ons ... unfinished

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust Decision