General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Impressions on 4 2011 Models

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 08:04 AM
triplj
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding Impressions on 4 2011 Models

I went to Destination Daytona this past weekend to test ride the 2011 models. I was able to ride the Crossbones, Deluxe, Wide Glide, and the Fat Boy Lo. Currently, I ride a 2009 Ultra and a 2006 Springer Softail Classic.

Crossbones - Probably my favorite bike of the ones I rode! I have to admit, I have not been a fan of this bike. I still think the seat sits up too high, but, it is definitely a comfortable ride. I wouldn't think twice about using this bike as a touring bike! Floorboards will scrape at the drop of a hat - scary the first time - but doesn't really affect the ride. The one I had came with a gear indicator - I knew what gear I was in the whole time!! That doesn't happen often. I don't know if that was stock from the factory or an option, but it was kind of nice. My only complaint - your seating position coupled with the Mini-Apes makes it difficult to look down at the speedometer. You really have to take your eyes off the road to see the it. This could be fixed with a lower seat or maybe some type of handlebar or riser mounted speedo. Definitely not a deal breaker.

Deluxe - Not a whole lot to say here. I have always disagreed with the notion that this is a girl's bike. This is the first time I have rode one, and I definitely liked it! It does sit low, but a lot of us lower our bikes anyway. I don't think there were a lot of changes for this model year - just a nice solid bike with a good ride!

Wide Glide - This was an open bike on one of the rides, so I hopped on it. Once I got on it, I realized it had forward controls. I am not a big fan of forwards, so I expected to not like this bike. Boy, was I wrong. A lot of pull, a blast to ride! Probably would not take this bike on a long ride ride. I think my back would be killing me after about an hour. I would love to have this bike in the garage for those short blasts where you ride a little too fast just to clear the mind!! I think everyone here knows what I am talking about!

Fat Boy Lo - Love this bike!! If I had the money for another bike, this would be the one. I love the look, the ride, everything! Floorboards scrape a lot on this one, too. I don't think there were too many changes on this bike from last year either, so there isn't a whole lot to say.

Overall, it was a lot of fun riding the bikes and seeing some of the others. They had a Road Glide Ultra, but it was a display model. Nice metal flake paint job! Nice looking bike! I really wanted to ride a Road King Classic with the 103, but there wasn't one there. They had a RK Standard, but someone dumped it and by the time they got it back the waiting list for it was a mile long. They had an Ultra Limited there but the list for it was long, as well. All in all, I really didn't see anything to make me part with either of my bikes. I would like to put the Mini Apes off of the Crossbones on my Springer!! If anyone has any questions or wants more details, just ask!!

Old 08-02-2010, 08:44 AM
bjewell
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 347 Likes on 133 Posts

Thanks! Those Crossbones will sneak up on ya...

Old 08-02-2010, 08:48 AM
lucky jim
Intermediate

Is the Wide Glide actually uncomfortable over time? It seems pretty good, but then I've never taken it for an hour long ride.

Never lived with a bike that has forward controls before, and the Wide Glide is the one I'm lookin at.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:55 AM
stevent
Road Master

The Crossbones and the Wide Glide would be my picks, I'd put a set of the mini apes on the Wide Glide though. I had them and the forwards on my last Dyna and loved them, good riding position for me.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:08 AM
tcatnat
Road Master
Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

triplj; did you like the forward controls on the wide glide or just the overall bike itself. I am considering putting forward controls on my 2010 Super Glide Custom since 'I think' I'll like the riding position better.

Since you said you don't like them I'm wondering if the wide glide changed your mind.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:19 AM
jakem
Advanced

I went also. Wanted to ride the Road Gluide. Can you belive they had it there and would not let any one ride. They gave me some sort of sow story. Suprised at light crowd when I was there.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:50 AM
Redbeard
Stellar HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky jim
Is the Wide Glide actually uncomfortable over time? It seems pretty good, but then I've never taken it for an hour long ride.

Never lived with a bike that has forward controls before, and the Wide Glide is the one I'm lookin at.
I have a 2010 Wide Glide and I rarely ride it less than an hour at a time. I'm 6'3", so the forward controls aren't really a stretch. But my Street Bob had mids and I liked that position as well. My only complaint would be the seat is a bit soft after a while, but it isn't bad. I was kinda worried about the skinny front tire before I bought the bike, but I haven't had a problem with it following grooves or anything.
I was mainly attracted by the bike's looks, but it rides even better than I expected.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:39 PM
lucky jim
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Redbeard
I have a 2010 Wide Glide and I rarely ride it less than an hour at a time. I'm 6'3", so the forward controls aren't really a stretch. But my Street Bob had mids and I liked that position as well. My only complaint would be the seat is a bit soft after a while, but it isn't bad. I was kinda worried about the skinny front tire before I bought the bike, but I haven't had a problem with it following grooves or anything.
I was mainly attracted by the bike's looks, but it rides even better than I expected.
Cool, thanks. I'm 5'10" and the forward controls on the Wide Glide just fit.. it's pretty comfortable. And I don't like the knees up position I get from the Dynas with mid controls. That's good that it's a nice ride The looks really draw me to the bike as well, and the main concerns I have are the skinny front wheel and the cornering clearance, but from what I've read they're not as bad as they're often made out to be.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:32 PM
triplj
Cruiser

Riding the Wide Glide definitely changed my mind about forward controls! I would probably put apes on it, though. It felt like I was trying to touch my toes - nearly impossible for me!! I think with the apes (mini apes, probably), I would have a ride that is more comfortable to me. I like being able to stretch my legs and the Glide definitely lets me do that!! It was a blast getting out there and riding all those bikes! May have to put it on the calender and start doing that every year!! Like jakem said - it was a lighter crowd than I expected!!

Old 08-02-2010, 02:50 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

Son rode a Bones last yr. he said it was a good ride..
I am liking the springer more as time goes on,, but

In these old 60+ yrs eyes.. I just don't understand the rear fender and the upright rake of the Bones...seems some old school and some modern stuff on it..Just me but don't like the flow.

Quick Reply: Riding Impressions on 4 2011 Models