General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sold a bike recently that was financed with HD?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 08:51 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Sold a bike recently that was financed with HD?

I'm possibly selling my bike but HD credit still holds the title. They are quoting me a 10 - 14 day turnaround on the title once the loan is paid off but will not tell me if it is even possible to turn it around any faster than that. I'm wondering if anyone else has sold a bike in recent weeks, months, or even a year or so that had to send payoff to HD credit and wait for the title to come back and if so, how long did it take for you?

Old 08-02-2010, 09:05 AM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sounds REALLY weird. You should be able to clear title for anything within a much more timely manner than that. If you have to wait that long, that means the person who is purchasing it can not register it in their name until the title has been cleared...which would ultimately limit your ability to sell it to someone who is willing to wait for up to 2 weeks to be able to ride even after they have arranged their own financing (after money has changed hands). I wonder how the 'other' financing institution would feel about finanancing an article that can't even be possessed or registered for that long.

Something is really wrong with that scenario. 7 - 14 days is not a timely manner.

Here, you only have a matter of a few days (maybe up to 6 days) to change title after purchasing something.

Krikey, a household mortgage would take less time.

Last edited by bikergirl40; 08-02-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:06 AM
red devil
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I paid mine off earlier in the year, and it took about 3-4 weeks to get the title. Even though the statement tells you what the pay-off amount is, I still called for a "up to date" amount and was told a different amount. In the end the "up to date" pay-off was wrong and I received a reimbursement check from HD in the amount of $41.

Last edited by red devil; 08-02-2010 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:10 AM
scottwilliamson
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I would contact my local dealer and see if they would process the paperwork for a reasonable fee. It is a common transaction for them to transfer a title from one lender to another, they can then issue a temp tag to the buyer.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:16 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

Bikergirl, I agree that it seems like too long and that's why I'm asking. I suspect it doesn't usually take that long but that is their standard answer to cover themselves in case something gets held up. But I can't get anyone there to say that.

Red_devil, most lenders quote 10 day payoff amounts that are ALWAYS different from your outstanding balance (always a little more), to account for interest that will accrue daily between the date you request the payoff over the next 10 days. So, the only way it ever works out perfectly is if they receive the payoff on the last day of the quote (the 10th day). So, in most cases, when you pay it off within the 10 day period, you will get a refund for the interest amount that didn't accrue yet. Is it possible you mistakenly sent in your outstanding balance as the payoff and that didn't actually cover the entire amount and that's why it took so long to get it straight?

Old 08-02-2010, 09:19 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by scottwilliamson
I would contact my local dealer and see if they would process the paperwork for a reasonable fee. It is a common transaction for them to transfer a title from one lender to another, they can then issue a temp tag to the buyer.
Exactly,

Talk to a finance rep. at a dealership. Especially since it's financed thru Harley credit.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:33 AM
sunrise rider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going through a dealer may be your best bet, might cost a few bucks but speeding up the process may be worth it.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:40 AM
oldmanwayne
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I sold a bike that was financed thru Eaglemark this spring. I talked directly to a rep and was able to check the website for status. Their phone number is on your monthly billing statement. As the title was being sent to the new owner it should have taken a couple of weeks- ended out taking 2 months as the title was returned to the bank twice. I finally had them send it to me and then met the new owner to sign it over. Eaglemark was responsive to my phone calls but it still took a bunch of time to get the title.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:08 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

Just talked to my dealer. They can turn it around same day but it will cost a doc fee of $349 plus a dealer assistance fee of $299. I guess they truly get you coming in and going out.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:14 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

"doc fee of $349 plus a dealer assistance fee of $299" Holy Chit!!! Is this rape or what?!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Sold a bike recently that was financed with HD?