General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Train Noise?

Old 08-04-2010, 04:20 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,701 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Some things never seem to change. My old '94 has had a valvetrain rattle/tick in it since it was factory rebuilt back in '02. I've had it back to the shop over and over again, only to have the techs stick their fingers in their ears and tell me they can't hear anything.

I've changed lifters but it didn't help.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:44 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,281 Likes on 2,349 Posts

Funny thing about the oil system and oil filters. When the 5 micron filtering agent in the oil filter starts getting plugged, the filter bypass opens and unfiltered oil now goes thru the system. Could be something in the lifter(s) Just wondering if you aren't using the correct filter filter, or the oil pressure relef valve is a little weak, not maintaining the correct oil pressure after the oil reaches operating temp.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:37 AM
sduhn
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
Funny thing about the oil system and oil filters. When the 5 micron filtering agent in the oil filter starts getting plugged, the filter bypass opens and unfiltered oil now goes thru the system. Could be something in the lifter(s) Just wondering if you aren't using the correct filter filter, or the oil pressure relef valve is a little weak, not maintaining the correct oil pressure after the oil reaches operating temp.
Filter is HD's premium filter for the bike and oil pressure is just over 32 at hwy speed.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:57 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rstekeur
I was checking on the lucas oil treatment and found this link

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm
man i cna not put any faith in that, it is clearly not a per reveiw study. I use it in all my bikes, all my customers bike, all the built motors we do... and even the shop that does our dyno tunes uses it in all their race bikes... to me proof is in the application and i have to say i am sold on it. i have yet to meet anyone that tried it and did not keep using it.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:00 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rstekeur
I sorry I don't buy that answer. almost everyone I talk to that has 10-15k mile has a lot of what sounds to be lifter noise. I had it on the 05 EGC and I have it on the 09 EGC I have how. I started with dino oil until the first 1k service and switched to syn3. somewhere around 10k I started noticing the lifter noise.I'm at 16k now. I switched to Redline in all 3 hole the last service and it may be a slight bit quieter but not much. I've asked the very same question on this forum and was told,

1) it's a harley get used to it
2) buy earplugs
3) wear a helmet

I love my Harley and wouldn't get anything else, but it it is a little hard to get used to it sounding like a Ford diesel. I've had people tell me they tried throwing money at it replacing lifters with no change. The only answer I can come up with is I wear a 3/4 helmet and keep the radio loud
They make Adjustable Push Rods to make your harley little bit quieter

Last edited by cadman311; 08-05-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:37 AM
cadman311
Club Member

I forgot about (lugging your engine) running at low RPM's with lower oil pressure. You will not get as much oil to your lifters. But most time it's from run old burn oil. Running the wrong weight oil to save money being cheap about your bike. The only time my bikes will make any noise is with low oil or burn old oil. You could change that oil today and sit in hot traffic bumper to bumper with out an engine fan tomorrow and have burn that oil.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:18 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Run the dang thing.It's under warranty.It will still be running when you are dead and gone.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:52 PM
sduhn
Intermediate
Talking

You know it's funny that for all of the replys, no one has even suggested that there could possibly be a colapsed lifter...hmmm. Now, I'm no tech, but it seems to me that there's a lot of... ah, just add crap to the oil, change the crappy OEM parts with aftermarket parts cause original parts suck....or turn your radio up louder......I thought this was a forum were people who are or know someone who's having the same problems or issues could get an inteligent answer or at the least be steered in some sort of direction as to correcting thier bike problem/issue. Oh well, at least some of the replys give a guy a good chuckle....

Old 08-09-2010, 11:03 AM
sduhn
Intermediate

Well......the bike spent a couple of days at the dealer for a few things and low and behold they are going to replace the lifters because they are leaking down too quick......thanks for all the interesting advice everyone had to offer.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:34 AM
cadman311
Club Member

Like we said cheap oil users. Same lifters that are in cars.

Last edited by cadman311; 08-09-2010 at 11:51 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Valve Train Noise?