General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery life expectancy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 08:11 AM
lovinlife1216
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tech Slap
Battery life is relative to ambient temp, charging system reliability, length of riding...listening to your radio while you clean it duh...your battery needs a good 30 minute ride at 2k-3k rpm to charge, a tender if fine but I don't recommend it solely, just starting once in a while does nothing but drain it...I recommend twisting that little star nut under the throttle and let it run at 2500 rpm for 20-30 minutes...if you can't get it out on the road...
I have a dead cell in my battery, have for 3 years but I have a good charging system and I ride a highway at least 30 minutes twice a week, with the carb problem I was having turning it over after a jet change long enough to refill the float bowl and test rides drained it more than once... but regular highway time charges it right back up...
I agree wholeheartedly. Battery life is subjective and depends on a lot of factors. Things like geography (humidity & temp), engine mods, riding style, storage protocols, and riding time all play unique roles. The biggest factor for me was riding time - gotta keep the engine running above a certain RPM for an extended period. If you're a bar hopper and only get it out for short runs, the battery doesn't get a chance to generate charge. Just yesterday, I wanted to take a quick spin to my watering hole at Hammerheads and Betsy (my 2000 modified FXDX) was dead as a doornail. Didn't give me any indication last week that it was going to give out. Hate it when that happens. It's been about 6 years. Had a tender hooked to it as well. The first battery lasted 8 years. Headed to HD in Jacksonville today to get my OEM replacement battery. Life...

Old 03-03-2014, 09:11 AM
HBomb74
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is almost four years old. I usually throw it on a battery tender the night before a ride if it has been sitting for a while...