General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission bearing failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 08:13 AM
brogers
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kk6pg
The mainshaft bearing, commonly known as the inner primary bearing, is not on back order, so dont feed me the line that it is.
If youre really all that concerned about it, put a sealed Baker bearing in and quit complaining. Not everyone has the problem so get your facts straight.
The bearing part # 8967 he is talking about is not the inner primary bearing it is the main drive gear bearing inside the transmission. My 07 ultra failed at 38000 miles last year a couple of months after the warranty ran out. There are other threads about this on this site and a lot of people are having this problem

Old 08-10-2010, 09:42 AM
harleyflhrs
Advanced

i stand corrected "Bloodfats". my inner primary is gone too. i have that new inner bearing. but back ordered part #8967 is the main drive bearing. i would swear u have my bearing in yur hands how u described how it looks. my misstake

Old 08-10-2010, 09:45 AM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 08-10-2010, 09:57 AM
harleyflhrs
Advanced

as noted correction of myself to Bloodfats, Baker may supply inner primary bearing. i'm searching for mainshaft bearing. so instead of yur attitude. maybe u could help in finding #8967 mainshaft bearing . if yur dealer has one in yur area please let me know. #8967 is harley bearing only. this is not about who is right or wrong here. i thought this forum was to be informative and helpful to other bikers. bottom line is that part # 8967 is what it is. thank u for yur info i will contact baker see if they have aftermarket "mainshaft bearing" for my problem. word on the street the transmission is too new for aftermarket bearings. there are some bearings that are not HD bearing and can be bought at bearing suppliers. it's all a learning process

Old 08-10-2010, 10:13 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

07 softie. My mainshaft bearing and my ip bearing failed at 48,000. It didnt take out any other bearings in my tranny though. Its a pia if you dont have the ipb removal tool. 71.000 and all is ok so far.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:05 AM
bloodfarts
Novice

Originally Posted by harleyflhrs
as noted correction of myself to Bloodfats, Baker may supply inner primary bearing. i'm searching for mainshaft bearing. so instead of yur attitude. maybe u could help in finding #8967 mainshaft bearing . if yur dealer has one in yur area please let me know. #8967 is harley bearing only. this is not about who is right or wrong here. i thought this forum was to be informative and helpful to other bikers. bottom line is that part # 8967 is what it is. thank u for yur info i will contact baker see if they have aftermarket "mainshaft bearing" for my problem. word on the street the transmission is too new for aftermarket bearings. there are some bearings that are not HD bearing and can be bought at bearing suppliers. it's all a learning process
I didnt mean to have an attitude I was trying to defend you. It seemed like everyone on the forum was jumping down your throat acting like those bearing never fail, when I had seen a few fail first hand

I dont know anything about baker bearings when I did the repairs I used the harley bearings.

Like other people said though I would look at bearing manufactures to try to find it, I dont know any so I cant help.

I needed a bearing for my iron head about 12 years ago, I dont remember if our dealer didnt have it or it was back ordered but an oldtimer at the shop gave me the bearing number and sent me to a factory near my apt at the time and they did have the bearing

Old 08-10-2010, 12:29 PM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyflhrs
I've quoted you (post #24) but perhaps I'm incorrect and you're not looking for bearing P/N 8967. If I am indeed incorrect, then I'll edit to remove my link (in post #23) to Latus H-D who says they're available.

Last edited by RangeRat; 08-10-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:21 PM
harleyflhrs
Advanced

well good thing still under warranty so that now 07, 08, 09 and 10 with same main shaft failure. i contacted Baker transmissions, they use same bearing as HD #8967 and they have five on back order.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:35 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,920 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Maybe a little off topic , if so sorry . You'll find harley has LONG history of using cheap bearings when you do some research and sadly they don't learn from it .

Old 08-10-2010, 07:58 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

I've ridden HDs for years and a good rule of thumb is if the bearing is in your hand replace it with an aftermarket piece. My 08 road Glide went through an inner primary bearing at 17000 mi. I believe S&S makes a reliable replacement for that part now.

Quick Reply: transmission bearing failure