General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CVO bike for a high-mileage daily driver ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 02:48 PM
edilgdaor
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,206 Likes on 3,172 Posts
Default CVO bike for a high-mileage daily driver ?

I know a little about cars, collector's cars, limited edition cars, etc......

A couple of years ago, I thought about a CVO RG. I figured I'd keep my '06 RG and ride it all the time, and drag out the Screaming Eagle ince in a while.

Now, I may not have the '06. I'm looking at RG Ultras. I saw a CVO RG Ultra yesterday, and I can't quit thinking about it. But $36K is alot for a bike. Just as it was before. Part of the justification for the extra CVO money is the hope that it's $value stays high, and riding it everyday (my '06 has almost 90,000 miles on it) might drive the $value down (I don't know enough about CVOs to have any idea about how much) The other justification is that it's a sweet bike and would be great to ride everyday.

I always thought that, since it's special, it should be preserved. But it should be ridden, too.

I'm just wondering what people think.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:53 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

Although the cvo may have a higher value due to actual performance upgrades and not just paint and badges. It's gonna lose value no matter what. Time depreciates things also. But my thought is 36k and not ride it? That's a waste.

I went to trade in mine they offered me what a plain 08 was worth. But like I said. Mines just pain and decals. Not a CVO.
Originally Posted by edilgdaor
I know a little about cars, collector's cars, limited edition cars, etc......

A couple of years ago, I thought about a CVO RG. I figured I'd keep my '06 RG and ride it all the time, and drag out the Screaming Eagle ince in a while.

Now, I may not have the '06. I'm looking at RG Ultras. I saw a CVO RG Ultra yesterday, and I can't quit thinking about it. But $36K is alot for a bike. Just as it was before. Part of the justification for the extra CVO money is the hope that it's $value stays high, and riding it everyday (my '06 has almost 90,000 miles on it) might drive the $value down (I don't know enough about CVOs to have any idea about how much) The other justification is that it's a sweet bike and would be great to ride everyday.

I always thought that, since it's special, it should be preserved. But it should be ridden, too.

I'm just wondering what people think.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:53 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Buy it and ride it. If you want an investment try gold. A buddy of mine has a pristine 95th anniversary edition EG. It's is serial #1. He thought it would be worth a bunch of $$$ and found out he won't get any more out of it than he would form any other EG from 98. It only has 7,000 miles on it.

Last edited by IronAss; 08-21-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:47 PM
screamin softail
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ride my 2010 CVO Softail nearly every day. I already forked out the money for it. I'm sure as Hell going to enjoy it.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:01 PM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 82 Posts

If it was me I'd just ride it and enjoy it.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:35 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The CVO's depreciate just like the others and in this economy can be harder to sell.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:40 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Used, it will sell for more than the other bikes,.... but you paid more.

As was said earlier, if you want an investment, buy Gold. Don't even consider the "holding value" thing. Especially the way this economy is going.

I bet it would be a fantastic daily rider.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:48 PM
32vld
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why are you buying a CVO for $36,000?

To ride it or store in a garage for thirty years so you can sell it for $38,000?

For $36,000 you can buy a touring bike and buy a superglide to use for when it rains and avoid getting your tourer dirty and serve as a back up bike when the tourer has to go into the shop.

Is it small ***** compensation? Brag look at me?

These last questions is my way of saying that CVO models are not worth the extra cost.

Stock Harley's ride nice, can go too fast in a turn, fast enough to get a ticket.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:23 PM
edilgdaor
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,206 Likes on 3,172 Posts

Originally Posted by 32vld
Stock Harley's ride nice, can go too fast in a turn, fast enough to get a ticket.
Absolutely.

I've got a Crown Victoria, a Grand Marquis, a truck, and a van, plus my '67 Shelby GT500. My Shelby is a BLAST to drive. But most of the time, my foot is off the gas. My big cars are more comfortable than the Shelby, and both have more miles on them than the Shelby does. But the Shelby was designed for a different purpose than the Crown Vic is, and I'd much rather wear out the Crown Vic commuting to work than to wear out my Shelby driving to work. I'd much rather save the Shelby for Open Track days. Besides, if I drove the Shelby to work, I'd probably get stuck in a traffiic jam, overheat and blow a head gasket.

I could commute just fine on a 103" motor in a new RG Ultra. A Screaming Eagle 110" probably would work, too. But my intention when I bought the Road Glide that I own now was to wear it out (by riding it, not by getting hit). For some reason, I'm resistant to the idea of buying the RG SE to wear it out. But I know I could do it with a smile on my face.

Because I know if I bought it, I would definitely ride it. A lot. But I don't want to wear it out on a 4-lane wide Interstate going 20mph to and from work. If it was my only bike, I'd do it. When I was thinking about buying the '09 RG SE, it was going to be my second bike next to my daily rider. I got used to thinking of it that way. Now than my daily driver is wrecked, it seems different. I'll get over it.

When I was a kid, Chevy SS 396s were all over the place. We beat them and tore them all up, and there aren't very many good ones left. To me, it doesn't seem right that we did that just so we could end up driving Corollas and Civics. I don't know what that has to do with motorcycles, but I wish we'd saved a few SS 396s (and I didn't even really like 396s).