General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To dyno tune or not

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 08:21 AM
Norfolk and Good
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To dyno tune or not

I recently purchased a brand new Roadking. I installed the SE heavy breather, the SE super tuner and CFR slip on exhaust. I have done just over 10000kms touring round oz. My mechanic is old school and reckons that I dont need to have the bike dyno tuned. He also states that dyno tuning the bike can bugger the motor as it runs at high revs for long periods. I dont agree and want to get the most out of my tuner. Can anyone help with this mad debate im having.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:28 AM
billfitt
Cruiser

Your bike do what you want!

Old 08-22-2010, 08:38 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Norfolk and Good
I dont agree and want to get the most out of my tuner.
The tuner is probly set up with a downloaded map for the changes made.
With the tuner you have,there are many changes that can be made with an experienced dyno person.
If the bike is running good now with no decel pop and good fuel mileage,I would save my money.
At 1000 miles,I had the SERT, A/C and SE mufflers installed with the downloaded map settings for these changes.Bike ran great.Couldnt justify spending hundreds of dollars for a dyno.
At 30000 miles I went with a 95",cams and 2to1.Had the bike dynod at that point because of the major changes.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:45 AM
arnold
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I went with TTS Mastertune-V-Tuned it myself -bike runs better than it ever has since new, right around 400 bucks, I hear the new race tuner has an auto tune as well, short of having any problems I would go that route and save the dyno for if/when you do major upgrades and cant get the tune right, I would for sure try to tune it myself 1st. I'm no rocket scientist and mine came out GReat.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:42 PM
Norfolk and Good
2nd Gear

The dealer told me that it was pre loaded with mapping for running in only. I would like the extra grunt as I sometimes have to pass road trains (trucks with 4 or more trailers). Im also considering the 103 kit, but have to speak to she who must be obeyed first.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Norfolk and Good
The dealer told me that it was pre loaded with mapping for running in only. I would like the extra grunt as I sometimes have to pass road trains (trucks with 4 or more trailers). Im also considering the 103 kit, but have to speak to she who must be obeyed first.
If you are thinking of future mods, you'd be wasting any dyno money now. Wait until you are done building the motor, then squeeze every hp out of it with a perfect tune.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:45 PM
Softy 103
Banned
Received 259 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by arnold
I went with TTS Mastertune-V-Tuned it myself -bike runs better than it ever has since new, right around 400 bucks, I hear the new race tuner has an auto tune as well, short of having any problems I would go that route and save the dyno for if/when you do major upgrades and cant get the tune right, I would for sure try to tune it myself 1st. I'm no rocket scientist and mine came out GReat.
The new SERT has an auto tune ? Wonder if it will work on an 07 model? I looked at the Thunder Max with auto tune at Sturgis , but wow that baby is pricey

Old 08-24-2010, 03:41 AM
Watch Guy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default based on your original post

it sounds like you're interested in getting the most out of your stock bike without reaching into the 'inerds' as it were. I'm doing the same thing. Stage 1 V&H MO's V&H Power duals PCV. No matter what you end up doing you'll always be wondering what the bike is putting out. Might as well get it dyno'd. At the least it will give you a better map and maybe a little more zip.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:05 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I fall into the "no need" group, bike runs great on the map from FM and I see no need to a) try to squeeze a few more hp or b) hope I get a good dyno/tune since I have read so many threads that question the results based on who did it.

There are many on here that swear by it though. If you want the max you can get out of the bike go for it. If you are happy with it, gets good mileage and plugs are burning right I wouldn't bother.

I do agree with previous post about the 103........if that is anywhere in the foreseeable future I would wait.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:11 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

If it runs good now with no issues with no other mods than you have I would save your money. For what you can get out of it with just what you have IMO it's not worth it. If you have excess heat, pinging, extremely poor MPG's etc then maybe.

Quick Reply: To dyno tune or not