General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zummo 665 owner's, a little clarification please

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 08:52 PM
KevinMcC
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zummo 665 owner's, a little clarification please

I purchased both the 665 and the interface cable HD is selling new for this year.

Trying to put it all on a 2010 limited. Dealer is installing. Not going well at all. The dealer is trying hard. The installtion instructions are not well written at all. HD tech admits to some mistakes within the instructions. A real mess for the guys trying to hook it all up.

I thought the point of the interface cable was to eliminate the need for the cable to be plugged into the AUX port on the front face of the radio plate from the GPS unit, and, mute the radios when the GPS giving verbal directions.

Dealer is telling me the cable has to go to the AUX port to be able to hear the XM radio, because it is considered a portable unit much like an I-Pod. So far it is the only way you can hear the XM when it is plugged in, but you can't hear the verbal directions from the GPS.

If you unplug it from the AUX port, you can hear the verbal directions, the rest of the radio, but not the XM.

I paired off the GPS with my phone thru the Bluetooth. You can see the phone on the GPS, it will recieve and dial out, but neither person and hear anything. Useless at this point.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated. Terribly frustrating.

Beginning to regret the purchase.

Kevin

Old 08-27-2010, 10:42 PM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 97 Likes on 40 Posts

Call Garmin tech support.

US: 913-397-8200
US Toll Free: 1-800-800-1020
Canada: 1-866-429-9296

Old 08-27-2010, 11:19 PM
Foot Patrol
Advanced

Bought one myself and nothing but trouble so far. Dealer installed a 660 cradle and it does not get XM with it. Back to dealer tomorrow to get new 665 cradle installed. This is my third time at the dealer to get this installed correctly. Hope i dont have the same problems you are having.

Please post what you find out.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:11 AM
houndawgg
Tourer

Join this forum if your gonna being using a Zumo, they can answer all your questions and solve your problems.

http://www.zumoforums.com/

Old 08-28-2010, 08:01 PM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 97 Likes on 40 Posts

The cradle from Garmin is the same for the 660 and 665. #010-11270-03. If Harley has done their magic only for me thing all bets are off.

Do you have the Road Tech™ Navigation Interface Module Harley # 76408-06.

This is supposed to connect the gps to the advanced radio system and provide what you want with the audio.

Last edited by wlbowers; 08-28-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:04 AM
KevinMcC
Intermediate

Houndawgg - I did join that forum, very helpful, thanks for the tip.

Got the bike back yesterday and most of it works, at least the XM, voice commands, bluetooth and weather maps. It only works from the Zummo with the cable plugged into the AUX port.

Harely does have a known problem in the interface cable. Two of the pins are miss wired right out of the box. Nice, really nice! I can't answer which two it is.

Even with them corrected, still it did not work like it should. It's possible the interface cable itself is defective. My Zummo worked just as it should on another bike in the shop with another interface cable. Install/function problem is just about isolated.

Overall it is a good addition to the bike.

Three items that disappoint me. All from the way the HD parts catalogue is written.

1. You have to use the cable to the AUX port for the XM. It is a seperate unit from the HD radio. The interface cable allows the other parts of the radio to mute when sopken commands are detected from the Zummo. That was not possible until now.

2. Three months trial is for XM only. Weather and traffic is a chargeable item right from the start. Says all three are included the parts book. It is different in the manuel that comes with the Zummo. It did no good to argue, the initialization is done off shore somewhere, those folks could care less. It was tough enough to get them to acknowledge the Harley promotion.

3. The antenea is the reciever, not the head unit on the bike. Means if you want to use the XM, Weather in another vehicle, you have to take the antenea off/out of the bike with you, or buy another subscription for the second antenea. The hell with that. I would point out by paying a monthly charge, you will come out ahead of a yearly subscription unless you can ride all year. The activation fee is supposed to be waived for a motorcycle subscription so you can turn it off during the winter months.

My point in this long winded post is to help someone else make the right decision for themselves and avoid the frustrations I have had to this point.

Kevin

Old 08-29-2010, 08:43 AM
DMJFatboy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having the dealer install the interface cable on my limited with the 660. It doesn't have xm and I don't really want it. Hope they don't run into this problem with my install.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:42 AM
merlin41
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Can someone clarify whether this interface module works only with the Road Tech branded 665? I would like to install the interface but there is confusion on various forums regarding whether this will work with the standard Garmin GPS (non-Road Tech version).

Old 09-19-2010, 12:03 PM
hotbikes
6th Gear

Kevin,
Can you now use the bluetooth feature and call out? I can make the call and hear the person but they can't hear me. Any ideas?

Old 09-19-2010, 07:25 PM
KevinMcC
Intermediate

No. My phone HTC Incredible, and the Zummo will connect, but like you the person I am talking to cannot hear me over the engine noise and wind. I think it is because the external mic in the front of the zummo does not cancel out. It works just fine sitting in the garage with the bike off, can talk all day long. I'm also using a corded headset from my helmet to the bike. I can see calls coming in, missed calls etc. The phone book is there, but only on number is listed.

I talked with the Garmin people and was told the Zummo does not support all features of all phones. As popular as the HTC Incredible is, he felt they would correct the problem in a future firmware upgrade. We will see.

I'm just back from a 5000 mile west coast trip. The zummo itself plugged into the AUX port worked just fine. It just does not interface with the phone and bike like it should. I found it very helpful finding gas stations which arent always visiable from the roads, sometimes you have to get a couple of miles off the main road. The first 4 days were tough because of the cross winds and rain across NE, WY, ID and OR. The nav weather is another good tool to have in your arsenol. However you can get lost in to much information. Look at what it is telling you, look around in your immediate area and trust your experience to make the final decision.

The best I can do is give the unit half a nod until the problems have been fixed and it operates as advertised. It is an expensive frustration at this point in time.

Kevin

Quick Reply: Zummo 665 owner's, a little clarification please