General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fault Codes P0261, P0263, P1003

Old 08-30-2010, 04:31 PM
QehQeh
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fault Codes P0261, P0263, P1003

I originally posted this in the “Electrical/Ignition” section but it seems not a lot of people hang out there…

I washed my bike yesterday and when I tried to start it, the engine turned over a few seconds but wouldn't fire. I tried it again and it fired and threw these codes in this order.

P0261 Front Injector Open/Low EFI
P0263 Rear Injector Open/Low EFI
P1003 System relay Contacts Open EFI

I've got the service manual and the parts manual... now I have to go out and buy the Electrical Manual??!!!

In the mean time, could anyone tell me what could cause these faults?

BTW, I cleared the codes and they haven't come back.

Thanks much.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:08 PM
09FXFD
Stage I
Default EFI codes

I'm having the same problem with my 09 Fat Bob. The codes are identical, in the same order and are the only code listed. The problem is happening more and more often. My bike always starts the first time on the day I ride. If I shut the bile off to eat, get gas, etc. it may or may not restart.

I've noticed that when it does not restart I can't hear the sound of the fuel pump running when the ignition is first turned on. There are no other lights on the speedo console. It seems that if I wait 5-8 min and retry, I'll hear the fuel pump and then the bike starts.

Other than this the engine seems to be running fine, no stuttering, etc.

Steve

Old 09-06-2010, 03:12 PM
QehQeh
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 09FXFD
I'm having the same problem with my 09 Fat Bob. The codes are identical, in the same order and are the only code listed. The problem is happening more and more often. My bike always starts the first time on the day I ride. If I shut the bile off to eat, get gas, etc. it may or may not restart.

I've noticed that when it does not restart I can't hear the sound of the fuel pump running when the ignition is first turned on. There are no other lights on the speedo console. It seems that if I wait 5-8 min and retry, I'll hear the fuel pump and then the bike starts.

Other than this the engine seems to be running fine, no stuttering, etc.

Steve
Happened to me again Saturday. I met up with a group of riders - the bike was sitting for around an hour while everyone arrived, ate, etc. Took three tries to start. This time the yellow engine light stayed on, instead of only staying on for a few seconds after the bike started. The bike was running fine so I ignored it until the next stop, where I cleared the codes. We stopped several times during the day and it didn't happen again.
Anybody know what's going on?

Old 09-06-2010, 03:21 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,206 Likes on 460 Posts

Could be as simple as a loose ground. Or the System Relay contacts could be corroded, or the relay can be failing. Check your grounds, clean the relay bayonet contacts, and the bayonet slots in the relay block. Also squirt some dielectric compound into the slots.

Just noticed the OP had this happen after washing the bike. That would lead me to the relay contacts, and especially using the dielectric grease.

The following users liked this post:
mmancuso (08-05-2020)
Old 09-06-2010, 03:56 PM
FBRR
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is another GUESS! When the ignition is turned on the ECM must initialize. If you look at the check engine light it stays on for a few msec. ( some times closer to a few sec. ) while the ECM initializes.
If you crank ( hit the crank button) during that time many instances the engine will fire. But if it doesn't and continues to crank during the ECM "intialization phase" the voltage will be dropping( during a crank event) and possibly, low enough during the crank event to cause those codes to set.

And yes an engine will crank even if the ECM voltage is low enough to set a code. That is a guess! based on my knowledge of ECM and check engine code calibrations. ( Most check engine codes will not set below a "calibrated" voltage. Injector voltage LOW setting are normally set very close to the ECM low voltage limit!)

The following users liked this post:
Kcougar (10-14-2019)
Old 09-07-2010, 12:46 PM
QehQeh
Road Captain

Originally Posted by pococj
Could be as simple as a loose ground. Or the System Relay contacts could be corroded, or the relay can be failing. Check your grounds, clean the relay bayonet contacts, and the bayonet slots in the relay block. Also squirt some dielectric compound into the slots.

Just noticed the OP had this happen after washing the bike. That would lead me to the relay contacts, and especially using the dielectric grease.
Thanks much, I will check this out asap.

Originally Posted by FBRR
Here is another GUESS! When the ignition is turned on the ECM must initialize. If you look at the check engine light it stays on for a few msec. ( some times closer to a few sec. ) while the ECM initializes.
If you crank ( hit the crank button) during that time...
Yeah, I always start her by the book though - ignition switch on, wait until red key light goes off, run switch on, wait until yellow engine light goes off, hit the start button. Thanks anyway.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:35 PM
RutRoo
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There may be a leak in the hose going to your EFI.. that hose is in your tank.. the sound may be the fuel squirting thru the leak..When it leaks down or does not get enough pressure it may show a relay failure..

Old 02-12-2011, 03:02 PM
cmwilki
1st Gear
Default Resolution?

Steve (09FXD) or anybody else for that matter,

Did you get your problem resolved?? I am having the same issues with an '08 Fatbob. Same error codes and scenarios as far problems starting. My friend started this post (it's his bike) - https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ml#post7889390

After checking the error codes I found this thread - any ideas?

Old 02-12-2011, 05:04 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok. I'm gonna throw this out and I am sure more than one will tell me I am full of ****, but here goes. Started for TX in Aug on my 08 RKC like 8000 miles on it. About 160 miles out, middle of noplace I get the check engine and battery light. Ok I turn around and head toward a big city where I can possibly find a dealer. About the time I get there the lights go off so I figure I will go home, figure this **** out and try again. About 50 miles down the road, lights come on again, figger I will try and make it home. Ok get home, battery is damn near dead and the codes are, "lo battery, such and such ignition circuit overcharge all kinds of happy horse ****." Put the bike up and the charger on. Clear the codes. Long story short, pulled every connector I could find. Cleaned put the anti corrosion crap on them, SSDD. Bike had to go in anyway, the next week so when I dropped it off I asked the dealer to check it out. They found nothing wrong w/ the charging system so they call MOCO and are told to pull and clean the ECM connector. 4000 miles later, still no problem. What the hell the ecm has to do w/ the charging system is beyond me, but maybe you guys could try that? Can't hurt

Old 02-26-2011, 04:54 PM
cmwilki
1st Gear
Default Problem Solved - System Relay

Apparently the cranking problem was due to a bad system relay. Put in a new system relay for $7 and the bike runs good as new! Without the system relay, the motor wasn't getting any gas injected when the bike was turned on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fault Codes P0261, P0263, P1003