General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Deuce vs 2009 lowrider

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 03:38 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,375 Likes on 1,162 Posts
Default 2005 Deuce vs 2009 lowrider

I like both the deuce has 2300 mi on it for $10,000. And the lowrider has 2800 mi for $12,000. looking for some pros and cons ?

Old 08-19-2010, 03:44 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

The Deuce is a little different critter, look in a catalog most ST parts will says fits blah, blah, blah except Deuce. Other than that put your *** in the seat and find out which you like best. The newer one will run hotter thanks to the EPA.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:35 PM
FBRR
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've owned a Duece and now have a FXDC ( Superglide custom).
A Dyna handles better and rides better. Softails have less rear travel in the shocks than a Dyna. ( A Lowrider also has reduced rear shock travel!!)Some prefer the look of a softail, but I've decided I like the ride over looks. The Duece is a balanced engine and the Dyna is rubber mounted. The Dyna's will have more vibration at idle and stopped at a light, while the vibs on a balanced engine don't really show up until around 75 to 80 MPH.
Balanced engines feel entirely different than a rubber mounted! To me my softails ( Duece and Fatboy) felt like electric motors compared to the two Dyna's I've owned.
A rubber mounted engine smooths out at higher speeds.

I am also not a fan of the 21inch front wheel on the Duece. I like the larger contact patch of the Dyna's with 19 inch front wheels.

I did not like the bars that came on my Custom. ( Buckhorn)I've changeed them out for 5.5 inch risers and Duece handle bars.

The sump on a Dyna make them a little more difficult to place on a lift, where the softail's are easy.

The Lowrider has a 6 speed trans and 96 cu in. The new 6 speed and clutch are much better than that of the 5 speed ( the new trans is much nicer than the old 5 speed) and the 96 engine is an improvement over an 88!
( You didn't mention if the Duece is a carb or injected, as that too makes a difference. I would take FI over a carb. Others will disagree on that point as many guys prefer a carb!)

The Duece comes with forward controls. I had forward controls on my first Superglide, but I've left the mid controls on my current Custom. I now prefer the mid controls and the ability to lift offf the seat, and the mid controls have better control and are better on the freeways.

Those are my thoughts between the two bikes!

I will add I loved every Harley I've ever owned.

Last edited by FBRR; 08-19-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:47 PM
DMas
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't owned a Duece but have owned LR and now have a softy. The LR does handle better but for me far less comfortable on longer rides. I'd get squirrelly in the saddle after 30 minutes or so. Personally I like the look of the Duece better but that's just me. Depends on how you ride, lots of traffic ridin' the LR might be better for you if you do more long riding, the Duece might be better.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:07 PM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Received 5,316 Likes on 2,200 Posts

I have a Deuce and love it. Never rode a Lowrider. If yuo plan to customize Harley dude is right, you'll see ( except FXSTD ) often. Other than that, one is $2000.00 cheaper than the other. I'm cheap though.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:16 PM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

go deuce! just dont put your headlght on it!!lol

Old 08-20-2010, 06:04 AM
Jonny Cannon
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 "Except Deuce"

That being said, Deuce-drivers are the Softail Elite. :-)

Cannon

Old 08-20-2010, 06:12 AM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

It is true when you search for parts and accessories it will say "FITS ALL EXCEPT FXSTD" but if you do your homework you will find parts and accessories from other models in fact do fit...you just need to be creative.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:37 AM
rcaddell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd go with the low rider. Deuce never appealed to me. Deuce never appealed to many actually, hence why they stopped making them (**** poor sales) - at least according to a friend of mine who worked for HD.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:00 PM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I hate to dog on another man’s ride, but I can’t deal with that Deuce rear end……I love the bobtail rear fenders that the Customs have.

Quick Reply: 2005 Deuce vs 2009 lowrider