General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to find exhaust leak?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 01:52 AM
Shrek
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to find exhaust leak?

Been having decel popping, not much , sometimes it does and sometimes it dont. I can downshift through all the gears and have no popping and the next time it may be just 3rd gear and then next time it may be all the gears. Checked plugs both were at .040. Just added Rinehart 2 into 1 , big sucker stage ll and terminal velocity ll (recomended by Rinehart) on a 06 RKC. Can not hear any leaks and there are no black marks on pipes from escaping exhaust. Thought about buying some S.E. exhaust gaskets and replacing the very thin cork gaskets that came with the Rineharts. Anyway , is there a way to test for an exhaust leak or any suggestions before I take it all apart and put it back together.

Old 09-13-2006, 02:02 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: How to find exhaust leak?

ORIGINAL: Shrek

Been having decel popping, not much , sometimes it does and sometimes it dont. I can downshift through all the gears and have no popping and the next time it may be just 3rd gear and then next time it may be all the gears. Checked plugs both were at .040. Just added Rinehart 2 into 1 , big sucker stage ll and terminal velocity ll (recomended by Rinehart) on a 06 RKC. Can not hear any leaks and there are no black marks on pipes from escaping exhaust. Thought about buying some S.E. exhaust gaskets and replacing the very thin cork gaskets that came with the Rineharts. Anyway , is there a way to test for an exhaust leak or any suggestions before I take it all apart and put it back together.
You can take a piece of cardboard and cover the end of the exhaust while the bike is running, you'll need someone to help you, if there's any leaks you'll feel it at the joints or at the cylinder head. I had some exhaust leaks on my Rineharts at the muffler joints. If you find any leaks there apply some copper imprenated high temp silicone seal and then reinstall the muffler and retighten.

Old 09-13-2006, 02:10 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

First off, you need to get rid of those crappy gaskets that Bubs sent you, and don't spend the $$$$ on the SE gaskets... The OE ones are very good, and very reliable in their sealing properties.....

To test for a leak, you need to use a clipboard or piece of wood to assist in blocking off the muffler tip....

Have a bud listen to the change in note, as the "Whoosh" will become very pronounced, then trace it by listening ....

2 places it can leak from.....

1. Exhaust flange/Port...

2. Slip joint at muffler (Common as most DIY'ers dont use RTV to coat the inner flange of the muffler), and the crappy Bubs clamp don't apply enough radial force to the joint itself...

Old 09-13-2006, 12:07 PM
PosseRider
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Cork on an exhaust flange ????!!!! That is just not good. Buy some good ones .

Old 09-13-2006, 03:06 PM
Shrek
Tourer

Tried the board against the end of the muffler and neither buddy or myself could hear any leaking. I work construction and its raining so have today off anyway , so I decided to tear it all apart and try it agian. I did use the copper permatex sealer when I originally installed the muffler , but in the hast to hear the new exhaust I did not let the sealer cure out the 24 hrs required. I put new OEM gaskets in and will wait till tomorrow to give it a test run. Thanks for the info . I'll let you know how things worked out tomorrow.

Old 09-13-2006, 04:30 PM
Cognizant
Tourer

It's very possable you don't have a leak. I get the (occasional) decel "pop" also and from what I've been told 'over & over' by different tech's is that it's no big deal and the only way to avoid it is to go back to factory pipes and settings. If the popping becomes frequent, then you have a problem.

Old 09-13-2006, 04:38 PM
glebo
Grand HDF Member

Received 995 Likes on 326 Posts

The popping is probably caused by a lean condition. I don't think an exhaust leak would cause it unless the leak is allowing air to be sucked back up into the cylinder. That leak would have to be at the head. A leak further down should not allow air to travel all the way up to the cylinder. Thats Just MHO. Good luck.

Old 09-14-2006, 09:41 AM
Sigma
Tourer

An exhaust leak at the header to head junction will most definitely cause deceleration popping. Replace the gasket with OE and you problem will probably go away.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:37 PM
Dancemax
Cruiser

I thought an occasional pop from decleration from high rpm is normal

Old 09-14-2006, 11:42 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Shovelhead_Bob.

Everyone's been saying how the OE gaskets crush and block the exhaust port, where the SE's don't.
Is that not true?

I'm hoping to do my pipes soon, and you are the man with the info.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: How to find exhaust leak?