General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did YOU choose Harley as your bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 11:05 AM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Why did YOU choose Harley as your bike

A friend of mine at work, going thru a divorce, presently financially embarrased, has had many bikes in the past. He said when he gets back on his feet he would buy a Harley. I ask, why Harley? He said because it comes with a family.... I had to agree.
I rode imports till 1977, worked at a Honda dealership, had a 750 Honda that was highly modded and was fast, went to Daytona Speed week, rode with a huge group beside a ruff looking fellow on a Sporster for a few miles, thats all it took. The look, the sound ....It wasn't about fast anymore. I knew then I just had to have a Harley.
What made your decision?

Last edited by Mikey 1450; 09-26-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:11 AM
lrays280z
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The same thing happend to me when I went to Daytona Bike Week 09. I was on a 1997 Yamha Royal Star Tour Deluxe. Came back and in three weeks bought my 02 Road King Classic. Have put over 20k miles since March 09 and loved every mile. I'll never ride another metric again unless it was a financial neccessity. Love the clunky transmission, vibration at idle, sound and ride that my road king has. I never had the same feeling on the Hondas, Kawasakis, and Yamahas that I had in the past.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:19 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

I had always had metrics. Harleys were big lumbering bikes that the old guys rode. I started doing more long trips and decided to get a touring bike. Was looking at a gold wing but wanted something to compare it to. Went and test rode Harleys, the Ultra classic fit me a little better than the wing and it was cheaper. So I figured why not.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:20 AM
Mr Haus
Road Warrior

Is there really any other kind???

Old 09-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Bear_925
Tourer

because theres Harley and then theres everything else....and the first time I knew what a Harley was when I was little I though it was bad ***, and everyone I knew who every had one was a little bit bad *** themselves LOL

Old 09-26-2010, 11:24 AM
tillydog
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good dealer network where the people in there know and love what they are selling, real metal machine that sounds like an engine not a sewing machine, and a group of riders that provide great entertainment, if you have walked the streets at any biker event and you know what I mean.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:27 AM
fxdxrider
Road Captain

I was running into license problems - was only 2 points from a mandatory ban and ridiculously expensive insurance so I was looking for thrills at less illegal speeds. Getting a Harley round a bend at 50/60mph is sometimes harder than doing the same corner at 80/90 mph on a sportbike even though the former is legal and the latter isn't. Once I was riding on HD I was committed - no going back - but I don't criticise those who ride sportbikes (as long as they ride them well).

Old 09-26-2010, 11:27 AM
karlkcfi
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wanted one since I started riding metricsback in the mid 90's. But they were out of my budget. Thought only rich people could afford them, and I needed something reliable because it was my daily ride. I kind of backed into my first HD. 5 years ago, I Got rearended in a mall parking lot while on my Virago. Fixed it up, started looking for a new bike. Needed to finance it, have a full time job, some for a down, looked at Star motorcycles and Vulcans but they wouldnt finance me. HD finance did....my first was a XL1200L, end of story, never looked back. Now I have an FXD. Love the brand. More metal less plastic than Metrics, better sound, American tradition....I dont do the lifestyle thing, but I average 12-15K a year on my bikes going to work, visiting relatives, grocery shopping etc.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:30 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

I was in a Triumph dealership a couple of days ago and a salesman,when
i told him that i had a Harley asked me the same question,why out of interest do i like Harleys,i told him the look of some of them,not all by any means,and i surpose the noise that they make,i surpose like a lot a of people it was Easy Rider that got me started.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:41 AM
maduxfn31
Tourer

My older brother bought his first Harley in the late 70s he had the only one in town you could hear him coming or going from miles away and I just loved the sound of it and I told my self some day I would own one,so about five years ago i came into some money and bought an 883 loved the bike but after a few months i out grew it and traded it in on my Wide Glide and havent looked back.

Quick Reply: Why did YOU choose Harley as your bike