General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering heated gear this winter...Anyone have experience with the new Gerbing

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 09:19 AM
miandsh2000
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering heated gear this winter...Anyone have experience with the new Gerbing

considering some heated gear for this winter and pretty sure gerbing is the go-to place for heated gear - but have some ?'s before pulling the trigger.

generally - most winter trips would be no more than an hour in length, mostly commuting. dont ride in snow or rain during winter. will ride all year round here in VA if there is no chance of water/ice being on roads. and have never used heated gear before, so anything will be an improvement. normally just use hoodie, couderoy/fleece-lined jacket, fleece neck band, and northface gloves and ok for a max of an hour down to 40 degrees or so with that set-up.

here are some of my questions:

- how are the new microwire products?
- for the vest liner wearers, do you wish you went with the jacket liner?
- any thoughts on the nubuck gloves over the g3? im looking for something as thin as possible.
- how did their sizing charts work out for you?

hear are the pieces i was thinking of getting.

or

or

wanting to hardwire and mount ***** in dash panel.

any thoughts/opinions/suggestions appreciated.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:41 AM
JollyRogers
Road Master

I have not looked at the Nubeck gloves, but have the G3's. Wife got them for me for xmas. They work well, but you absolutely need a temp controller or you will get hot. I have them hardwired to my batery and the plug sitting next to my battery tender plug. I use have the temp dial in the inside pocket of my coat and the wires run through the sleeves. Would probably work better if I had the full coat liner where the gloves plug into that, cause the wires are a PITA. I find the wires used for plugging on the gloves are also a PITA and uncomfortable. The gloves themselves are very nice. Sorry don't have an electric vest or coat liner (though thinking of getting one this year). So I think I would go with the jacket liner vice the vest because of the wires you have to run and they are integrated with the coat liner.

Regardless, they work very well at keeping my hands warm. I use a FXRG coat/liner, and have tour master overpants/liner, 3/4 helmet with leather face cover, and the gerbing gloves and do just fine down into the lower 30's in Virginia. My riding expereince and outlook is what you say is yours. Many say that if your torso is warm, everything else will be also... so a jacket liner is a great start.

Also, not sure where in Va you are located, but Morton's BMW in Fredericksburg carries all the Gerbing products and are usually stocked well. It would allow you to try them on, and suit up to see how it works out.

Last edited by JollyRogers; 10-03-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:52 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

I got a set of the old style this spring, discounted tremendously on eBay when the microwire came out. They work great...I wore them all day yesterday. I got a pair of the Union Ridge overpants (no longer made) rather than the pants liner. My arthritic knees used to just ache after being in the airflow between the upper and lower fairing. I also got the jacket liner, and love the turtleneck part of it. My lower back, against the back rest, will get warmer than the rest of the liner, probably because of the pressure against the wires.

I have read on other forums that the gloves are not waterproof at all. Others have recomended getting the glove liners instead, and wearing them inside a pair of waterproof gloves.

Gerbing has some closeouts left at this site:

http://www.heatedclothingoutlet.com/index.shtml

Make sure you understand their sizing--and measure carefully as per their directions.

I use the portable temp controller. I put a piece of velcro on the back, and stick it on the velcro on the pocket on the Union Ridge pants. In riding position, it's right on my thigh for easy adjustment.

My Harley heated grips lasted for four years, but finally quit. I'm looking at Heat Demons rather than the hassle of the Gerbing Gloves.

Last edited by MNPGRider; 10-03-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:55 AM
sullyboo
Cruiser

I don't know about the Nubeck but the T5 gloves work very well. I would also say get the temperature control. I also have an adapter to plug into my Battery Tender Jr. so I have one accessory plug coming off the battery.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:06 AM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Gerbings

I have the gauntlet "old style" gloves and the jacket liner. I would recommend the liner over the vest as your arms can get cold faster than your chest. My gloves are bulky but you can get used to that. Yes, the wires are a pain in the a$$. That feel when you are riding along on a cold day and your bike loves the cold dense air and is running great...then your jacket liner kicks in and there is a warm glow all over your chest and you hands are warm, even in the wind...Well it makes even the wire hassle worth it.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:07 AM
miandsh2000
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JollyRogers
...Morton's BMW in Fredericksburg carries all the Gerbing products and are usually stocked well. It would allow you to try them on, and suit up to see how it works out.
thx a bunch. just live about 40 min north up 95. worth the trip down there.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:10 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by sullyboo
I don't know about the Nubeck but the T5 gloves work very well. I would also say get the temperature control. I also have an adapter to plug into my Battery Tender Jr. so I have one accessory plug coming off the battery.
You'll want to check the fuse rating of the Battery Tender Harness. A Battery Tender Plus only draws 1.25 amps, and come with a 3 amp fuse. You have a jr that draws less than an amp...but I think the harness is the same. The Gerbings' wiring harness has a 15 amp, and Gerbings specifically recommends not using a Battery Tender harness.

The jacket liner alone can draw 6.4 amps. The pants liner is 3.6 amps. The gloves are
2.2 amps.

Last edited by MNPGRider; 10-03-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:10 AM
JollyRogers
Road Master

Now I need the adapter for my battery tender! Save on dangling cords on the bike... NM, just saw MNPGRider's comment.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:30 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

Jollyroger, it's not that it can't work. The dealer installed battery charging harness on our Ultra is heavier than the one that comes with the Battery Tender, and has a larger fuse, but without pullingoff my seat, I can't tell you for sure what it is, but I think it was a 7.5 .

The fuse holder on the Gerbings harness is noticibly more heavy duty that a Battery Plus, but the wires appear to be the same size.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 711 Posts

I bought the HD heated gloves last year at this time. I bought a temp controller online that works very well. I learned to carry some extra fuses too as one time I plugged the gloves in before I started up the bike and blew a fuse. My hands got cold on the drive to the auto parts store. I have specific wiring for the gloves and also routed it next to the battery tender. The gloves keep my hands nice and warm, but the wires are a PITA to get use to.

Quick Reply: Considering heated gear this winter...Anyone have experience with the new Gerbing