General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E-15 ethanol on its way!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 03:45 PM
cbrenthus
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,574 Likes on 662 Posts
Default E-15 ethanol on its way!

Here is an e-mail I received. Ethanol is an even bigger problem in boats than other vehicles, so if you want to know what's going on with it, pay attention to boaters and their sites.

September 27, 2010
Dear BoatU.S. Member,
We need your help. If you believe in "science first," now is the time to urge President Obama to require the federal EPA to understand the effects of higher blends of ethanol before allowing it into our country's gasoline supply.
Time is critical. Last year, a record number of boaters asked EPA to test marine engines before allowing up to 15% (E15) ethanol in gasoline. This testing has not been completed. Now, in late September or early October, EPA is getting ready to announce their decision. We expect they will allow E15 for some engines and not others. This will create different fuels with different availability, prices, and a lot of consumer confusion.
BoatU.S. appreciates and embraces the need to diversify our country's fuel and energy sources. However, we are concerned that EPA may put the "cart before the horse" by granting increased ethanol before we know what it will do in our marine engines. Many boaters, having suffered through the last ethanol transition, agree that we should learn from this recent history, and completely understand what the new fuel will do before approving its use in boats. It may turn out to be harmless, but what if it's not? Shouldn't we wait for the facts before making the decision?
Please help today. Click here http://www.followthescience.org/take-action/ and let President Obama know your concerns about ethanol and ask him to get the science first, before giving EPA the approval for more ethanol in your gasoline.
Many thanks,
Margaret Podlich
Vice President, BoatU.S. Government Affairs

Old 10-04-2010, 03:52 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,473 Likes on 2,475 Posts

I recently heard that they are putting off the decision indefinitely until new studies are in concerning this change.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:57 PM
cbrenthus
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,574 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
I recently heard that they are putting off the decision indefinitely until new studies are in concerning this change.
That's the best news I've heard all day!

Old 10-04-2010, 04:13 PM
cotnballs
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our gas in Colorado goes from 10% to 15% in the winter, shows up around 1 Oct and stays until May. Im not sure about fuel at the docks.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:05 PM
nozzlehead
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That stuff plays havic on on my 2 stroke stuff.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:22 PM
Rockyriver
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have several small 2 stroke motors on lawn equipment and the plastic tanks are dissolving and have leaks because of this crap.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:24 PM
Tarponrod
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to see the effects of ethanol, put some E10 gas in a jar then put in a few drops of water and shake, let sit for awhile. The ethanol + water will seperate then put in a steel nail and let sit a couple of days. That's what happens to your fuel pump, injectors or carb parts.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:03 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,281 Likes on 2,349 Posts

It's a conspirancy from the corn growers in Iowa, they have to unload all that corn in the state to everybody and anybody that can use it. Orville Redenbacher where are you when we need you.

This concerns me as I'm in the boating/marine industry, our plant is constantly looking for improvements in our fuel storage (fuel tanks) and fuel filtration systems.

Last edited by seniorsuperglideE8; 10-04-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:00 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

we get it 10% during winter mo. it dosen`t seem to run anyworse

Old 10-04-2010, 09:27 PM
ElectraLarry
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I never use ethanol gas in my boat, period. I try not to use it in the bike but sometimes you just don't have a choice, like when you drive though Iowa for instance. The best way to avoid any problems with the stuff is to use it all up then fill with non-ethanol (non-oxoginated, same stuff). Never let it sit on your tank for more than a month, that's when it starts crudding everything up. Don't forget to add Sea-Foam before storage!

Quick Reply: E-15 ethanol on its way!