General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Los Angeles Area Riding Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 05:06 PM
bfrmbama
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Los Angeles Area Riding Suggestions

My company is having a conference next week in Irvine, CA. I'm going down a couple of days early. I'm renting a Street Glide from Orange County HD and I'm looking for some suggestions on where to ride.

I'm only going to have the bike for a day. So, my time is limited. I want to ride down PCH toward San Diego. Is this a good idea? Any cool stops along the way?

My main concern is avoiding LA traffic but I don't plan on getting on an interstate or an expressway.

I plan on hitting an In-N-Out Burger while I'm there but any other suggestions along the route I'm taking or in the Irvine/Garden Grove area would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 10-16-2010, 05:09 PM
02ULTRA
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cook's Corner!

Old 10-16-2010, 05:15 PM
bfrmbama
Tourer

Originally Posted by 02ULTRA
Cook's Corner!
Duly noted. Thanks for the tip.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:18 PM
IRideMineEverywhere
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 Cooks Corner

Riding to Mt. Baldy is also good.
PCH, Pacific Coast Highway, South of Seal Beach is a nice ride, going through Laguna.
Hollywood Hills is always fun... be careful if you have loud pipes tho.

In-N-Out is good but find a Tommys and get a Chili burger... you'll bring a sackfull of them back with you.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:20 PM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,729 Likes on 1,302 Posts

The PCH is clutch and go from Santa Monica to San Clemente, have not been further south. Lots of Bikinis though

Old 10-16-2010, 08:27 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PCH south is scenic, but I don't think the ride is very exciting... lots of stop/go traffic going through the beach communities. PCH north would be a better bet... but of course, you have to either go through or around L.A. from Irvine to get there.

Try Cook's Corner via Lake Forest, to Antonio Pkwy, to Ortega Hwy (not really a highway at all... lots of sweepers and fun riding). Depending on how ambitious you are, you can take Ortega to Hell's Kitchen and then turn around, or continue all the way to the mountain decent into Lake Elsinore. From there you can take one of several freeways west to I-5, which goes right into Irvine.

Are you sure about that rental though? I tried to rent from them last year and discovered they had gotten out of that business. I wound up renting from Extreme Dream Riders in Costa Mesa.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:47 PM
bfrmbama
Tourer

Originally Posted by Mr. Lucky
Are you sure about that rental though? I tried to rent from them last year and discovered they had gotten out of that business. I wound up renting from Extreme Dream Riders in Costa Mesa.
Yeah, called and reserved a Street Glide. This is at Orange County. I checked another HD dealer in the area and they no longer rent. They even state that on their website. I can't remember which Stealer it was though.

Thanks for the route btw. Looks like I'll be spending most of my in the canyon.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:58 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member

There's only one other dealer left in the OC... Fullerton, and they got out of the rental business too. The dealer in San Juan Capistrano went under and their inventory was aquired by Orange County H-D in Irvine. Glad they are back doing rentals.

Yeah that's a great route. As many times as I've done it, I never get tired of it. I left out the part about Live Oak Cyn between Cook's and Antonio, but I guess you could figure it out from a map. Cook's Corner is in Trabuco Canyon, BTW.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:03 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,866 Likes on 8,236 Posts

Stay out the hood!!

Old 10-16-2010, 11:07 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member

Orange County is hardly the hood lol! Disneyland is here.

Quick Reply: Los Angeles Area Riding Suggestions