General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Big Bore or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 11:42 AM
Crusing
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Big Bore or not?

My local dealer is running a special on installing 1550cc Big Bore Stage II Kit with includes the SE 203 cams, or my choice, for my 2006 Road King Classic. When all is said and done it looks like it will run about $2,000 with tuning and tax. I had the Stage I upgrade done when I bought this Spring. My question for those of you who have done this is do you feel you got a good increase in performance for the money and did it have any impact on your gas mileage?

Thanks

Old 09-17-2006, 11:58 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: To Big Bore or not?

2k is waay high, IM0. 203 cams are about 300 bucks. A set of SE flat top pistons are 129 bucks. A gasket set is about 75 bucks, and boring your existing jugs about 150 bucks. Then, I guess they will throw in a generic Stage II download for about 100 bucks. That comes to about $800 dollars for parts retail. (Rember the dealer likeyl pays way less than half for those parts). At any rate the other $1200 for labor is pretty steep, IMO.

All in all, you will likely gain 10-15 hp with a 203 cammed Big Bore kit over a good tuned Stage I providing you do no headwork when you do the Big Bore. You gas mileage will be about the same.

Old 09-17-2006, 12:07 PM
springer_
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If $2000 is a special, I'd get another dealer.

$299 SE 95" cylinders (Bore yours $130 and better cylinders when done)
$129 SE Flat top pistons
$279 SE 203 cams
$90 Misc gaskets (estimated high side)

Does it include a SERT? Or is "tuning" just a download?
$469 SERT (retail over price)
$149 SE stage II Download

Are they Dyno tuning the bike? Most dealers aren't qualified to dyno tune IMO. Even so, Dyno tuning should come in at $350-$500. Dealers seem to think $100/hr and 8 hrs is what it takes to tune a bike.

Stuff they should do but probably won't.
Change the inner cam bearings to Torrington's
Change the tensioners shoes while it is apart
Change the lifters if mileage close to 30K

We do 95" big bore builds and they come in around $2500 but typically include SERT, Tuning, Torrington bearings, Bored stock cylinders, ported heads, cams, pistons, machine work to correct squish, chain tensioners, lifters, gaskets, cometic head gaskets and labor to install.

I'm not saying they are over charging but I would find out EXACTLY what they are doing for that money. Some dealers charge an hour to install a SERT. There is NOTHING to install. Buyer Beware is all I'm saying.

Old 09-17-2006, 12:50 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree 100% with what Springer_ and the others have said.

Additioanlly, the 203 cam is "OK", at best. I do not know what bike you're considering installing this in, but there are several cams options that will give you much better results!

Old 09-17-2006, 01:04 PM
Crusing
Road Captain

The special at $1828 (without tax or dyno tuning), includes a 29775-02B kit, adjustable pushrods, calibration which is a download, and labor. This kit includes a SE Air Cleaner and Breather Kit which I already have installed. So I do not need the Air Cleaner and Breather Kit nor the adjustable pushrods as I understand if I go with the standard SE 203 cams. Therefore a $810 kit and pushrods discounted a total of $276 dollars does not seem like good deal if it includes about $280 dollars of part I do not need. I already have the SERT and while they say it normally takes about 4 hours to tune on the dyno, they would only charge me for 2 hours. They are going to look into pricing only the parts I need rather than the on-sale kit and let me know the cost tomorrow.

Old 09-17-2006, 01:45 PM
Bikermike
Intermediate

Springer what is squish?
thanks

Old 09-17-2006, 01:50 PM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

Squish is the area between the flat of the piston and the flat of the cylinder head at top dead center (TDC). On the compression stroke, as the piston approaches TDC, the compressed mixture of fuel and air is "squished" to the remaining space of the combustion chamber where the spark plug and valves reside. The "squeezing" of the mixture creates turbulence and promotes a better and more complete combustion.

Old 09-17-2006, 03:25 PM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't sound like any kind of deal to me. My Stage II 95" kit was $850 plus $600 labor. Back in March. I also got the SERT instead of the download.

My fuel mileage actually went up. Best tank so far was 44mpg. Average around 38mpg and I run the **** out of it.

Old 09-17-2006, 05:58 PM
Crusing
Road Captain

CraigC,

Did the $600 for labor include installing cams as well?

Old 09-17-2006, 08:25 PM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 97 Likes on 40 Posts

My Dealer had the gonads to tell me 2 hours to install the sert.

I told him if it takes his mechanics 2 hours to plug in two cables, and boot a computer, they need to be fired.

Quick Reply: To Big Bore or not?