General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The after Sturgis trip

Old 07-10-2015, 02:14 PM
LowRider68
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The after Sturgis trip

Like many of you on here, I'm going to Sturgis and I can't fricking wait! I'm leaving on July 31st and leaving Sturgis the following Tues. At that time I'm splitting of from my group and traveling west by myself. I plan on hitting the Rockies, Utah, and the Hoover Dam.

As far as food goes, what can I easily bring with? For example, bread wouldn't be good, it would just get smashed.

Also, how can I legally travel with my sidearm?

Thanks!

Old 07-10-2015, 02:54 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

On a bike or in a car?
Are you tenting it?
If you are on a bike, the less you take the better. Buy groceries as you travel or hit restaurants. You might carry some granola, snickers bars or pop tarts and a couple of bottles of water in case you break down.

Do you have a concealed carry permit?
If so, look at the reciprocity laws with your state.

Last edited by Jonesee; 07-10-2015 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:18 PM
LowRider68
Tourer

I'm taking my bike. I was thinking about buying some MRE's. But, I haven't eaten them in 20 years and might get plugged up. lol

I do have a conceal carry permit from Minnesota. However, I moved to Kansas 2 yrs ago and not sure if my permit is still valid since I don't live in MN anymore.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:58 PM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Don't know handgun laws for states out west, but don't think Colorado honors Minnesota CCL (even if yours is still valid), so be careful there.

From the Kansas AG's office FAQs ...
Q: I am moving to Kansas from another state and have a non-Kansas CCL. Can I continue to carry concealed using my non-Kansas CCL?
A: By law, a resident of Kansas whose only authority to carry concealed comes through CCL must either have a Kansas CCL or fit the active duty military exception. For new residents to Kansas between July 1, 2010, and June 30, 2013, the Attorney General will issue a 90-day temporary receipt to that resident once they have submitted a Kansas CCL application which
includes a copy of their valid non-Kansas CCL license which is currently honored by Kansas.
On and after July 1, 2013, for new residents to Kansas (new as of July 1, 2010, and later), upon receiving a Kansas CCL application from that resident, which includes a copy of any valid nonKansas CCL, the Attorney General will issue a 180-day receipt to continue carrying while that application is pending. The Attorney General’s office will determine whether that applicant’s
non-Kansas CCL was issued after receiving training which was equal to or greater than the training imposed by Kansas law in order to receive a Kansas CCL.
- If the non-Kansas CCL was issued after receiving equal to or greater training compared to Kansas law, then the applicant will not have to complete the Kansas training course in order to become approved;
- If the non-Kansas CCL was issued after receiving no training or training that was not equal to or greater than that of Kansas, then the individual will have until the expiration of their 180-day receipt to complete the Kansas training course. If the applicant fails to complete the Kansas training before the expiration of their 180-day receipt, their application will be denied.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:12 PM
LowRider68
Tourer

Originally Posted by warprints
Don't know handgun laws for states out west, but don't think Colorado honors Minnesota CCL (even if yours is still valid), so be careful there.

From the Kansas AG's office FAQs ...
Q: I am moving to Kansas from another state and have a non-Kansas CCL. Can I continue to carry concealed using my non-Kansas CCL?
A: By law, a resident of Kansas whose only authority to carry concealed comes through CCL must either have a Kansas CCL or fit the active duty military exception. For new residents to Kansas between July 1, 2010, and June 30, 2013, the Attorney General will issue a 90-day temporary receipt to that resident once they have submitted a Kansas CCL application which
includes a copy of their valid non-Kansas CCL license which is currently honored by Kansas.
On and after July 1, 2013, for new residents to Kansas (new as of July 1, 2010, and later), upon receiving a Kansas CCL application from that resident, which includes a copy of any valid nonKansas CCL, the Attorney General will issue a 180-day receipt to continue carrying while that application is pending. The Attorney General’s office will determine whether that applicant’s
non-Kansas CCL was issued after receiving training which was equal to or greater than the training imposed by Kansas law in order to receive a Kansas CCL.
- If the non-Kansas CCL was issued after receiving equal to or greater training compared to Kansas law, then the applicant will not have to complete the Kansas training course in order to become approved;
- If the non-Kansas CCL was issued after receiving no training or training that was not equal to or greater than that of Kansas, then the individual will have until the expiration of their 180-day receipt to complete the Kansas training course. If the applicant fails to complete the Kansas training before the expiration of their 180-day receipt, their application will be denied.
Ok, so, lets say my Minnesota CCL isn't valid. When you travel in a car, the weapon must be in the trunk and unloaded. How does a person travel on a motorcycle? Can it be in your saddle bags or luggage?

Old 07-10-2015, 04:38 PM
TN Back Roads
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LEGAL HEAT is an apt for smart phones and tablets that is a great reference when roaming around the USA. Select your state and it will tell you where you can, and can not, carry in your state and what other states honor your HCP.

My TN HCP has an expiration date on it so you might want to check yours. I'd be a little concerned about having a drivers license from a different state than HCP.

Enjoy your trip. A word of caution (from experience) - Gas stations can be few and very far between. When trailering a show car to Spearfish form LA I carried 5 gallon can of gas in the trailer and had to use it once. Would not have been pleasant to be stuck on the side of the road in July without AC or any shade for cover. AAA won't be of any help in the middle of nowhere.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:48 PM
LowRider68
Tourer

Originally Posted by TN Back Roads
LEGAL HEAT is an apt for smart phones and tablets that is a great reference when roaming around the USA. Select your state and it will tell you where you can, and can not, carry in your state and what other states honor your HCP.

My TN HCP has an expiration date on it so you might want to check yours. I'd be a little concerned about having a drivers license from a different state than HCP.

Enjoy your trip. A word of caution (from experience) - Gas stations can be few and very far between. When trailering a show car to Spearfish form LA I carried 5 gallon can of gas in the trailer and had to use it once. Would not have been pleasant to be stuck on the side of the road in July without AC or any shade for cover. AAA won't be of any help in the middle of nowhere.
Thanks for the advice! I plan on bringing one of those plastic 1 gallon saddlebag gas cans with me.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:59 PM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

LowRider - Vehicle transport laws vary state to state. A good resource is handgunlaws.us

Old 07-10-2015, 05:41 PM
GeneseeGap
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 36 Posts

I just went in just about the same locations as you did recently.
About the longest stretch of non gas was in Wyoming between Casper and Rawlings on the US hwy.

The only trouble as far as gas i got into was my own doing...that was passing gas stations and not being familiar w/ my gas range. I know i had a 4.9 gallon fill up w/ my 5 gallon tank in Colorado.

as far guns:

This is from the Colorado Highway patrol site:

Title 18: Colorado allows a person to carry a firearm in a vehicle if its use is for lawful protection of such person or another's person or property. [C.R.S. 18-12-105(2)] Colorado law also allows a person to possess a handgun in a dwelling, place of business, or automobile. However, when you carry the weapon into your home, business, hotel room, etc. it must be in plain view. Local jurisdictions may not enact laws that restrict a person's ability to travel with a weapon. [C.R.S. 18-12-105.6] The Act permits the nationwide carrying of concealed handguns by qualified current and retired law enforcement officers and amends the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Pub. L. 90-618, 82 Stat. 1213) to exempt qualified current and retired law enforcement officers from state and local laws prohibiting the carry of concealed firearms

Thats one state down!

enjoy the ride

Old 07-10-2015, 06:14 PM
TN Back Roads
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GeneseeGap
I just went in just about the same locations as you did recently.
About the longest stretch of non gas was in Wyoming between Casper and Rawlings on the US hwy.

The only trouble as far as gas i got into was my own doing...that was passing gas stations and not being familiar w/ my gas range. I know i had a 4.9 gallon fill up w/ my 5 gallon tank in Colorado.
enjoy the ride
Agree with what he says - It was Wyoming that I needed my reserve gas.

Study a map to see distance between towns (gas) and don't wait until you are low on gas to start looking. I would think hard about passing a station. It will be hot and you need a good drink of cold water anyway.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The after Sturgis trip