General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prefer Quieter Pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 02:54 PM
Iamlegend21087
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prefer Quieter Pipes?

Hey Guys,
So in my quest to buy a forty eight I have been visiting the dealer every couple weeks just to sit on it and keep the motivation alive. This time the guy actually fired it up for right in the show room and i loved it, then he fired up a customized forty eight with the screaming eagle slip ons and was like now thats what a bike a bike is supposed to sound like. It burbled and crackled and sounded mean but in my head I thought man I like the sound of the stock pipes way better. Any body out there found a nice set of aftermarket exhaust that gave more performance but not deafening for their sporty?

Adam

Old 11-21-2010, 06:35 PM
32vld
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer stock. Read to many posts from older riders with years of running loud pipes now with hearing loss.

People here say that screaming eagle pipes are the quietest of all the after market pipes. So I don't think you will find pipes that have a noise level between stock and SE pipes.

When my son rides his nightster it sounds so nice as he pulls away with stock pipes.

Go with the sound you like the best because you'll be hearing it all the time.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:40 PM
CRASH69
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Put the stock pipes back, My last bike had stock, Its loud when you get on it, My slip ons are loud on my present bike, So I know what you mean...Crash

Old 11-21-2010, 06:42 PM
CEJohnson21
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck with the search. I'm still going round and round on what kind of exhaust I want on my 2010 Road King. I leaning towards replacing the head pipe to get rid of the cat but keeping the stock mufflers.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:47 PM
doublenaughtspy
Tourer

I still have the stock pipes on my '08 Wide Glide. They are a little louder than when they were stock, and have a nice, reasonable sound. I tried a set of slipons for about 3 days, and sold them on ebay. The noise was obnoxious to my ears. Now get off my lawn!!!

Old 11-21-2010, 08:03 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,187 Likes on 1,264 Posts

I've got Stage 1 pipes on the Road King. Nice sound but a little quiet. I love it. I've got straight drag pipes on the ironhead. My ears ring for 30 minutes after I get off. Some of these days I'm going to put some mufflers on that sporty.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:48 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Iamlegend21087
It burbled and crackled and sounded mean but in my head I thought man I like the sound of the stock pipes way better. Any body out there found a nice set of aftermarket exhaust that gave more performance but not deafening for their sporty?

Adam
If you liked the sound of stock over SEs I think you're probably SOL on finding an alternative. SEs, at least the newer street legal ones are pretty tame.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:48 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CEJohnson21
Good luck with the search. I'm still going round and round on what kind of exhaust I want on my 2010 Road King. I leaning towards replacing the head pipe to get rid of the cat but keeping the stock mufflers.
Bought a 2010 head pipe that has the cat gutted. I plan on trying it out with the stock mufflers to see how they sound. Some folks have said they will be loud because the 2010/2011 OEM mufflers are more free flowing to accommodate the

Old 11-21-2010, 09:34 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

The stock pipes on my Heritage were pretty quiet and I wanted something that sounded a little more like a harley should. I went with the rush slip ons with the 1.5" baffles. louder than stock but no wheres near obnoxious. I like them a lot and ear plugs are not needed.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:58 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

the older I get the quieter a pipe I enjoy......not too quiet but not straightpipe either.

Quick Reply: Prefer Quieter Pipes?