General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RK vs SG

Old 11-23-2010, 07:22 PM
Nick1
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RK vs SG

Any input would be appreciated. Havent ridden either of the bikes. Plan on it in the next couple of days when I have some time off. Looking at road king and street glide in black denim. Pros and cons of each would be great. Was originally thinking of RK but for a little more could be on a SG. Thanks in advance. Im about 6 ft and just under 200 lbs if that makes a difference.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:02 PM
Dustball
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search and you'll find more threads than you probably care to read. It'll boil down to how important a fairing and built in music are to you. Most folks will pitch the seats, bars and grips on either bike so bear that in mind when test driving.

Me, I went with a RKC. I wanted cruise control and a removable windshield. I knew eventually I'd replace the leather bags with hard bags, change out the seat and get different bars. Done, done, done and a ton of other stuff too over the years.

The RK is not only the best looking, but it's also the most versatile of the touring bikes Harley makes. In minutes you can strip things down old school for bike nights and boulevard cruzin' or totally bag it out for those x-country road trips with the OL. You can even get one of the removable batwing fairings with a lot better music setup than what comes stock with the SG. Sure, you won't have all the gages to look at, but RK drivers don't need them either.

That's my $.02 and YMMV...

-Dusty

Old 11-23-2010, 08:15 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

man if your going to spend that kindof dough make your own mine and know what kinda riding your going to do every bike has pros and cons

Old 11-23-2010, 08:16 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Street Glide all the way...!!!

Old 11-23-2010, 08:16 PM
whodares
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, what Dustball said.

I had the same decision and decided on a RKC as well. It comes down to whether you want a full-time faring or a "convertible".

I like changing things up so the RK was the right choice for me. I do love black denim SGs though...so hot.

I'll probably end up blacking my bike out once it's out of warranty.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:02 PM
scasey
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say the SG, more bang to me for the buck! But to each his own it will basically be your decision and after you ride both you eill have your answer

Old 11-24-2010, 05:22 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member

SG gets my vote too. I like the tunes and the fairing. I have my FB for short hops. And if you are planning on keeping your current bike, the SG makes even more sense.

Shakey

Old 11-24-2010, 05:55 AM
Captain Bligh
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Road King bias obviously. I got the standard FLHR (i.e. hard bags) and added cruise control to it. It has that vintage Harley look, does great on a tour, and can be stripped of the windshield in an instant.

I've never seen the value to tunes on a bike. Last month I did a fly and ride on an Ultra. I never turned on the radio once the whole week. YMMV

Old 11-24-2010, 06:28 AM
Bike-R-Mike
Tourer

I'm another one who doesn't see the value in the radio . I do however see value in being able to quickly and easily remove my windshield when the temps get really hot and I want the breeze on me . Also the SG's with the fairing don't look nice with a taller windshield , where as the RK because it's just a windshield , looks fine with a taller windshield that gives much more protection . You could even have 2 or 3 windshields of different heights that can be quickly changed to suit the conditions of your ride that day . Don't get me wrong , the SG with it's fairing looks very nice , I just think the RK is more versitile .

Old 11-24-2010, 07:09 AM
reefrider
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Dustball
Do a search and you'll find more threads than you probably care to read. It'll boil down to how important a fairing and built in music are to you. Most folks will pitch the seats, bars and grips on either bike so bear that in mind when test driving.

Me, I went with a RKC. I wanted cruise control and a removable windshield. I knew eventually I'd replace the leather bags with hard bags, change out the seat and get different bars. Done, done, done and a ton of other stuff too over the years.

The RK is not only the best looking, but it's also the most versatile of the touring bikes Harley makes. In minutes you can strip things down old school for bike nights and boulevard cruzin' or totally bag it out for those x-country road trips with the OL. You can even get one of the removable batwing fairings with a lot better music setup than what comes stock with the SG. Sure, you won't have all the gages to look at, but RK drivers don't need them either.

That's my $.02 and YMMV...

-Dusty
Ditto + another .02
RR

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RK vs SG