General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailering and Tie downs

Old 12-04-2010, 07:50 PM
Wheelz
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailering and Tie downs

Any suggestions on wheel chocks and tie down methods. I have a cargo trailer I would like to haul my bike in and am trying to find out what works the best.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:01 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 306 Likes on 178 Posts

HF Wheel chocks aren't expensive and work fine, I have used both styles.
Spend the money you save on good quality straps and soft ties (so the hooks don't touch the bike). I use at least 4 and usually 6 straps to tie down a bike.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:27 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

let me be the first to say - THEY ARE MEANT TO BE RIDDEN, or IF YOU SEE MY BIKE ON A TRAILER, CALL THE LAW, IT'S BEEN STOLEN, or...... well you get the idea.

LOL - please understand I'm poking fun at some of our fellow forum members that will try to flame you for trailering your bike without knowing any of your reasons to do so. not that anyone but you need to know that!

use the best straps you can find. 2 straps per side on the front, and one on the rear - mostly just to keep the back in place. I always put a 6X6 block under the frame and pull the bike down solid.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:32 PM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member

1+ to what Aviator said. That's how I hauled mine home from the dealer.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:35 PM
tidbit1
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Wheelz
Any suggestions on wheel chocks and tie down methods. I have a cargo trailer I would like to haul my bike in and am trying to find out what works the best.
I use two up front and two for the rear. Buy some good straps with the cambuckle ratcheting system. From another forum where i am a member they have tie down pics. Telling you not to compress the shocks down all the way by using the handlebars as a point to tie from. Go lower to where the fender is attatched to the forks where they want be compressed. That allows the bike to ride on the trailer as it would as if you were riding it. Makes sense right?

Trailer safe

Old 12-04-2010, 08:39 PM
t. sawyer
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by CWDoc115
1+ to what Aviator said. That's how I hauled mine home from the dealer.
+ 2
kroozeabout.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:59 PM
JohnnyBravo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea this really got me thinkin about my trip from Florida to Texas in 10 days.....my plan is to put my bike and all my stuff inside a 14 foot uhaul and trailer my jeep on a hauler behind.....packing household goods around a maze of tie-downs doesnt seem like an easy task....anyone with experience or ideas would be appreciated

Old 12-04-2010, 09:21 PM
jetsam
Intermediate

I also use the Harbor freight wheel chocks. Get the heavier ones at 39.95 not the cheaper "hoop" ones. Friends have borrowed my trailer and towed to Kentucky from Colorado. I trailer down the mountian to Denver in January to ride. It can be minus 20 up here and plus 60 in Denver.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:31 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior

I would also add, If you're using a wheel chock you put the tiedowns in the front using the front forks as a guideline where they hook to the floor of the trailer. You just want the bike pulled slightly into the wheel chock. The rear tiedowns get secured so it just holds the rear of the bike down. You don't have to put them on a back angle so their trying to pull the bike out of the front chock & fighting against the front tiedowns. Unless you want to be the guy that has to stop every 300 miles to keep re-tightening his tie-downs.

The best tiedowns for the rear are those white tiedowns they ship new bikes with. The dealers usually have them laying around that they'll give you or sell them to you very cheap. They seem to come in a long or short version, get the long ones. The short ones are a little TOO short to use.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:48 PM
farmerstu
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tidbit1
I use two up front and two for the rear. Buy some good straps with the cambuckle ratcheting system. From another forum where i am a member they have tie down pics. Telling you not to compress the shocks down all the way by using the handlebars as a point to tie from. Go lower to where the fender is attatched to the forks where they want be compressed. That allows the bike to ride on the trailer as it would as if you were riding it. Makes sense right?

Trailer safe
the weekly tie down thread.
no it doesn't make sense. pull the suspension down tight. fork seal will be fine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trailering and Tie downs