General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd Main Shaft Bearing Failure Update

Old 12-18-2010, 01:48 PM
harleyflhrs
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default picture of mainshaft bearing

this mainshaft bearing has only 24.000 miles on it. as u can see the otter bearing race that is still in the case, the front half of bearing from 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock is destroyed, from 12 o'clock to back to 6 the bearing is co,pletely normal. the one inner which there are two is destroyed completely around. some guys say aligment, bull crap. why have i repaired 4 bikes all same wear patterns. to check out this problem pull yur trany suite case cover off. look at bottom inside if it's fill with grey material yur in trouble. draining trany oil dosen't tell full story, trust me on that one.

2nd Main Shaft Bearing Failure Update-aug-27-2010-hd-trany-001.jpg

2nd Main Shaft Bearing Failure Update-aug-27-2010-hd-trany-017.jpg

2nd Main Shaft Bearing Failure Update-aug-27-2010-hd-trany-018.jpg

2nd Main Shaft Bearing Failure Update-aug-27-2010-hd-trany-009.jpg

2nd Main Shaft Bearing Failure Update-aug-27-2010-hd-trany-004.jpg

Old 12-18-2010, 02:05 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyflhrs
i wrote way back about trouble with both these bearings. there are so many people here than think they know what the problem is with both bearing. "till u have experienced and got thru bullcrap with HD then u really know what's up with it. HD just gives all the bullshit story, unless u have extended warranty. HD dosen't give a rats *** about your trouble, knowing they know there is big problem with both bearing.. i wrote in this fourm way back and explained issues as to what to look for. as to the failure of mainshaft bearing i'm still at wits as to why they fail.. the primary bearing it's explained why. i even connect *** bearing corp. that makes mainshaft bearing for HD . they don't give a crap either. so to sevice my memory right, look up in this forums search 6 speed transmission failure or mainshaft failure. or something like. it explains what i personally had repaired 4 harley mainshaft bearing on 4 different bikes all 6 speed and the failure of bearing wear pattern are all the same.. if u read that one u found right article.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...g-failure.html

Old 12-18-2010, 02:20 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,828 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyflhrs
this mainshaft bearing has only 24.000 miles on it. as u can see the otter bearing race that is still in the case, the front half of bearing from 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock is destroyed, from 12 o'clock to back to 6 the bearing is co,pletely normal. the one inner which there are two is destroyed completely around. some guys say aligment, bull crap. why have i repaired 4 bikes all same wear patterns. to check out this problem pull yur trany suite case cover off. look at bottom inside if it's fill with grey material yur in trouble. draining trany oil dosen't tell full story, trust me on that one.

Attachment 155427

Attachment 155428

Attachment 155429

Attachment 155430

Attachment 155432

Damn I see why those are dropping on you guys that's an awfully small bearing on that heavily loaded area . In the old 4 speeds those where heavy needle bearing about 5/8" long lots of them . In the 5's they went to a heavy caged with no issues . What I see there is a design issue , more hardware in the same space so things got downsized to fit & and more torque from bigger engines doesn't take a genius to see what's happening .

Bummer guys , good luck to everybody on this one .

Old 12-18-2010, 04:15 PM
dFREDb
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the good news is the extended warranty covered it and I'm back on the road today. Kudos to Chas at Hammond Harley-Davidson who came in on his day off to finish up the job for me. I had actually gone in to check on a part that I had ordered when my cell phone rang. It was Lee from the service department telling me my bike would be ready in half an hour (instead of Monday). I laughed and said I'm about 50 feet away from you over in parts, so take your time while I spend some more money
I guess I'll see how long this one lasts. I told them to save all the parts after the rep inspects them so I can take some pics. I'm starting to know the people at the dealership a little too well I'm afraid, but they deserve a sincere thank you for stepping up for me on this one!

Old 07-27-2013, 03:51 PM
wammerjammer
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok so my bearing went south also but how do i get the old races out of the tranny hole to install the new bearing and 5th gear i know they have to be pressed in but my old races are still in the hole help