General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd Main Shaft Bearing Failure Update

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 09:00 PM
dFREDb
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2nd Main Shaft Bearing Failure Update

Posted earlier about bringing in my '08 Dyna for the 2nd
main shaft bearing failure in 37,000 miles. First at 24,000.
The dealer told me some crap yesterday about how a field rep
had to come inspect the parts and decide whether to
honor the extended warranty that I had paid dearly for. I went
in this morning with both barrels loaded, but waited to see what
the rep would say over the phone. Long story short is they
will cover entire repair-north of $650.00 with parts and labor as the
trans got torn up again. No warning other than small oil drip, but
the tech said when he first rode it he heard the telltale sound, which
he apparently has quite a bit of experience with this particular bearing failure (he's done at least 6 in the last month). Thank God
I purchased the warranty, but I wonder how many times HD is going
to want to fix the same problem again and again. I've got 4 more
years on this warranty, so I guess they want to eat it about 3 more times. You would think they might learn from such a common and
expensive shortcoming in the bearing quality/design issue. I love my bike, but this was too much the first time. Also had 2 rear wheel bearings fail under warranty, but had to purchase a $500.00
rim as the race had spun in the hub. I'm not stupid enough to keep riding a bike with a condition that I can tell is not right, but these bearings give little to no warning. WAKE UP HD! Sorry for the long rant, but had to get it off my chest. My bike is one of the most important things that I have been blessed with, and it's frustrating when HD makes mistakes into some big mystery that they are too afraid to admit to, fix it, and move on.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:46 PM
takiniteasy09Ultra
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HD replaced mine at 18k miles. 09 UC. no other problems. minor noise but caught it just under the 2 yr warranty period. Whew!
Ride Safe

Old 12-17-2010, 09:48 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree with you, they should man up and not only repair , but install upgrades to prevent future failures. In my mind they should have paid for the wheel too! Their bad part caused the damage!!

Old 12-17-2010, 09:59 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like an alignment issue....That bearing shouldn't wear out like that...Wish you the best of luck getting the problem fixed.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:36 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

My son has 25K on his 06 Street Bob without a single issue. He's 6'5" and 270. He's went up the Alaskan Highway and to Key West. He has covered much of the U.S. with it.

He does not baby it at all and does all of his own services. He is an ASE cert. master mechanic and has a service manual. He goes through the bike each winter.

Could it be more how a bike is maintained and less who made it? Just wondering.

Here's a picture of the Dyna between my Buell and his brother's BMW. Those are large ammo cans with two one gallon gas cans on the back. He also had a duffel bag that went across the improvised saddle bags. The location was Butte Montana on our way to the Arctic Circle last year.

Last edited by lh4x4; 12-17-2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:44 AM
dFREDb
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lh4x4
My son has 25K on his 06 Street Bob without a single issue. He's 6'5" and 270. He's went up the Alaskan Highway and to Key West. He has covered much of the U.S. with it.

He does not baby it at all and does all of his own services. He is an ASE cert. master mechanic and has a service manual. He goes through the bike each winter.

Could it be more how a bike is maintained and less who made it? Just wondering.

Here's a picture of the Dyna between my Buell and his brother's BMW. Those are large ammo cans with two one gallon gas cans on the back. He also had a duffel bag that went across the improvised saddle bags. The location was Butte Montana on our way to the Arctic Circle last year.
My '08 has been maintained meticulously since the day I bought it. All fluids and filter changed every 3000 miles, belt tension and alignment checked, tire pressure maintained, cables and controls lubricated and adjusted when needed. All maintenance done by the book with the proper tools. This bike has the alignment dowels, so I don't think that's an issue with the primary. I ride conservatively, but am not afraid to use the power and handling of the bike as it was designed. Other than bearing issues, I have not had any significant mechanical problems, but these bearing failures are by nature a very big headache. When will Harley recall and replace this obvious problem area? It's got to be hurting their bottom line as well as their reputation. It is all rumors and whispers at the dealership with some saying Harley issued a recall 2 months ago (or not). They are investigating the inordinate number of failures (or not). There is a replacement bearing in the pipeline (or not). You see where this is going? As long as they wish to repair it on their dime, I guess I'll just keep riding. I guess I can't see the logic where there ain't none!

Old 12-18-2010, 11:42 AM
Zig Zag 2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

----------------

Last edited by Zig Zag 2010; 11-08-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:52 AM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 241 Likes on 106 Posts

Extended warranty is an insurance policy really. I am not aware if Harley is actually behind this or if Harley farms it out to an independent company. Regardless, to protect their name Harley should certainly take care of this issue with a recall if needed. Should some one get seriously hurt or God forbid killed due to a wheel falling off, there will be one heck of a field day at the local lawyers office.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:57 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

go with the baker bearing bud will be a GREAT upgrade mine was a mess when i did mine as well
when chad and i did mine it was impacted on and had to be tack welded to be pulled off

crap bearings

Old 12-18-2010, 01:18 PM
harleyflhrs
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mainshaft/primary bearing

i wrote way back about trouble with both these bearings. there are so many people here than think they know what the problem is with both bearing. "till u have experienced and got thru bullcrap with HD then u really know what's up with it. HD just gives all the bullshit story, unless u have extended warranty. HD dosen't give a rats *** about your trouble, knowing they know there is big problem with both bearing.. i wrote in this fourm way back and explained issues as to what to look for. as to the failure of mainshaft bearing i'm still at wits as to why they fail.. the primary bearing it's explained why. i even connect *** bearing corp. that makes mainshaft bearing for HD . they don't give a crap either. so to sevice my memory right, look up in this forums search 6 speed transmission failure or mainshaft failure. or something like. it explains what i personally had repaired 4 harley mainshaft bearing on 4 different bikes all 6 speed and the failure of bearing wear pattern are all the same.. if u read that one u found right article.

Quick Reply: 2nd Main Shaft Bearing Failure Update