General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motorcycle tours

Old 12-18-2010, 08:41 AM
larry harding
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default motorcycle tours

when open up my business each day i look at the little news clips on the main screen on the computer. one day this week there was an article about overseas motorcycle tours. this stirred up something in me i hadn't thought about in a long time. in the early 60's i was just getting really interested in bikes and you would see ads in bike mags about european tours where you picked up a bmw, toured europe and then have the bike shipped to the u.s. no money and no time made this just a dream. now at 65 i would like to do something like this before i'm too old to ride. the article mentioned asian and othe destination tours, you would rent a small bike (250 honda or something simular) and go for a week or so tour. has anybody on this forum ever done anything like this and can give me some advice, or relate their experinces along this line. i have a 25 year old son who is fighting cancer and i think this would be a great experience for us once his health is better.

The following users liked this post:
AlexandraAle (12-23-2019)
Old 12-18-2010, 09:00 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 258 Posts

2 years ago the wife and I did the Edelweiss Tuscan tour. Every other day was spent in a different location; always some restored monastary or old hotel of some kind...there were 2 guys from the States on the tour that just did their own thing on rented HD's and met up with the rest of us where ever we were staying...I also wondered off one day and visited the area where my Dad was badly wounded during WW2 and went to the local war cemetary...it was very moving for me...point is it wasn't cheap but it made for a very nice experience riding around the back country in Tuscanny...I've seen the south Asian tours, but in talking to people who've been there I don't know if I could stand the heat/humidity. We've also toured around Cuba in a rented van with driver; that was quite an experience as well.....would love to go there on a bike!

Old 12-18-2010, 09:07 AM
Beav
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Larry,
I've not ridden out of the country, but would like to someday.

For info try mctourer.com. A guy I work with is very active on this sight. He rides a Goldwing, and has put over 300k on two wheels.

Prayers for your son. Hope that he can beat this back, and the two of you get to ride many miles together...wherever it may be.

Best of luck,
Beav

Old 12-18-2010, 12:19 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Touring on an MC in foreign countries is pretty easy, and loads of fun.

I've ridden in Europe several times. You'll see many more motorcycles on the road there, and drivers are used to looking for them. But, you have to ride by their rules and keep moving

What I do is just rent a bike, sometimes I rent it one-way with a different drop-off. I go where I want, on my schedule, at speeds and intervals that suit me.

But, I know people who like to ride in those guided motorcycle tours, and I've seen those groups in Italy, the Alps, etc. The advantage to those is that you can take more than you can carry on the bike (they have a van), and you don't have to worry about mechanical issues. They will take care of you and get you a different bike if need be. You also have a guide who speaks the local language(s). The disadvantage is that you stay and eat where the guide chooses. And, of course, you pay more for all this.

You also asked about buying a bike there, riding it, and getting it shipped back. I can't help you there, but I would point out that octane values are different in Europe, with most bikes tuned for 95 or higher.

Whatever your level of comfort is, just go with whatever will keep you focused on the riding. One of my favorite multi-day rides in the world is working my way from Tuscany/Umbria up to the Alps. Stay off the Autostrada and enjoy the sweepers and twisties. Very different kind of MC touring than here. Just wonderful.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:54 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 967 Likes on 730 Posts

See if you can catch a rerun or 2 of the TV show Globe Riders. They go all over, but lately were in Southeast Asia. Here's their site: http://www.globeriders.com/

Old 12-18-2010, 01:19 PM
DMorr99
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Germany as a DoD civilian. I ride my American spec bike all over without any octane problems. My suggestion would be to rent a bike from a dealer close to one of the major airports and go see what you want to go see. I know there are reciprocal driving license agreements with most US states and most EU countries but I would also get an international license just to be sure. There are no worries if you stay within the EU. Just rent a bike and go.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:01 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Check out these links. I'm a frequent lurker on the ADVrider forum and these caught my attention enough to book mark them.

You can read the Ride Reports (RR) from participants to get an idea. I very well may do one of these...leaning towards Africa this coming year for my 50th BDay.

The Italy guy (a Norwegian) is a riding machine and appears to work in the motorcycle travel industry...for a magazine or something. He and has 2 bikes he rents out as well. From reading through a couple of his RR's, he's a fantastic and super nice guy and I suspect he'd at least plan you and your son a nice itinerary even if you didn't rent the bikes he has.

The Africa trip speaks for itself. I did a photo-safari in '06 and it's now in my blood...I want to go back. To do a dual bike/safari trip is extremely enticing.

So sorry to hear about your son...I'm sure I don't need to tell you this, but cherish EVERY second with him and your loved ones and LIVE your life...we just never really know. I'll say a prayer for you guys and especially hope to read a sensational RR when you get back!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291799 (ride report)
http://sitoscana.com/mc_en.htm

http://www.renedian.com/index.html
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=637275 (ride report)