General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How easy can it be to steal a Harley?

Old 09-28-2006, 01:20 PM
Draggin S
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How easy can it be to steal a Harley?

[quote]ORIGINAL: ClinesSelect

Get the siren and pager for the alarm.

That way you can run out and confront the four guys with 8' sections of pipe...

/quote]

4 guys with pipe VS. one guy with gun.......gun wins.................

Old 09-28-2006, 02:49 PM
vegashd
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: mimo

My friends just returned from Vegas two of 'em had their rides stolen overnight in a hotel. The bikes where secured with chains to eachother. The "funny part" is that those two bikes that they robbed were rentals, none of the other bikes were touched, hummmm... I wonder if there is a conection...

Regards.

Naa I highly doubt a connection. One if they are wanting to stay in business an insurance scam on two bikes would cost them way to much to make it worth there wild. They make there money renting the bikes. no one cares if they are a year old. Not to mention that with year round riding in Vegas HD rentals stay busy. A business wanting out then it could be an easy way to cash in. But your rates go up so much on an already high insurance premium. (around 45k) a year you would not want to take it in the shorts.

Old 09-28-2006, 03:33 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: vegashd

ORIGINAL: mimo

My friends just returned from Vegas two of 'em had their rides stolen overnight in a hotel. The bikes where secured with chains to eachother. The "funny part" is that those two bikes that they robbed were rentals, none of the other bikes were touched, hummmm... I wonder if there is a conection...

Regards.

Naa I highly doubt a connection. One if they are wanting to stay in business an insurance scam on two bikes would cost them way to much to make it worth there wild. They make there money renting the bikes. no one cares if they are a year old. Not to mention that with year round riding in Vegas HD rentals stay busy. A business wanting out then it could be an easy way to cash in. But your rates go up so much on an already high insurance premium. (around 45k) a year you would not want to take it in the shorts.
Ok, I get you...

What about this? Being foreigers and having to return within a time frame to your country of origin (and having obligately to purchase the rental's insurance) you wouln't take the hassle to claim the ride. You would only pay for the insurance's deducible and finito. Is it possible then that thieves feel more atracted to rentals? Just a question, not a statement.

Regards.

Old 09-28-2006, 03:51 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

wrecker or van with some big guys...blow torch or bolt cutters

Old 09-28-2006, 03:53 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thats not how they are stealing all of them these days, they just busted a ring of 3 guys with 8 bikes stolen in 4 states, they simply waited near a bike they saw parked in front of whereever then they pulled out a gun and demanded the keys as he got on his bike. Then they rode it off, they were fencing the bikes in atlanta at a used powersports store. That shows how brazen crooks have become.

Old 09-28-2006, 03:53 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

you can pick a barrel lock with a bic pen

ORIGINAL: Bama Harley

A friend of mines RK was stolen a few months ago while parked outside of Academy Sports. Ignition and steering locked. Turns out, part of the theft was caught on the stores parking lot cameras, but not well enough to find out who stole it. You could see in the video that a guy walks up to the bike looks it over, and then calls someone on his cell phone. A short time later, a truck pulls up, hands something to the 1st guy, then he hops on the RK and takes off. From what I understand, the view wasn't all that great on the camera due to some other vehicle's in the way.

Is it that easy to get a key for a HD?

Old 09-28-2006, 04:48 PM
Chicago Ski
Banned

My mom's friend locked her keys inside her Toyota one day. I took down the VIN, went to Toyota and had a key made.

They never asked me for any ID. When I asked the counter guy about that, he said I looked honest.

Old 09-28-2006, 04:55 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I jsut spoke to a guy at the store the other night who had two Harley's stolen out of his closed and locked garage in my neighborhood. He told me he rides a Honda now, and hasn't had any problems. Oh well. Another friend has had 2 bikes stolen as well. They will get it no matter where it is parked and how it is locked if they want it.

Old 09-28-2006, 05:07 PM
anniv03classic
Tourer

I haven't tried this yet, myself, but can you arm a factory alarm with the FOB as the bike is being ridden?

If this is possible, as the thief is riding off with your bike and hasn't gotten too far away.....hit the FOB, kills the engine, hopefully stops the thief.

Just wondering..

Dan

Old 09-28-2006, 05:22 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't be armed once iginition is on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How easy can it be to steal a Harley?