General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley to start Factory Custom Order Program

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 11:41 AM
ejohnson1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bet the upgrades will still cost more than if you bought the parts & did them yourself or else it would kill the dealership service depts. How much of their income is from people adding parts to brand new bikes. Something they obviously encourage since they started having add on parts being included in the bikes warranty (if dealer installed)

It would also take away what little bargainer power you had as a buyer. Dealers are always more likely to negotiate on something that is already on their floor.

It will probable evolve into "packages" that dealers buy & have on their floor similar to cars having different trim levels.

My dealer gave me 20% off all accessories bought 2 months after the bike & I installed them myself. You are not giong to get a deal like that with this program.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:51 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Just when you thought Harley couldn't charge more for a bike....

Old 01-06-2011, 02:11 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I just wonder what took them so long to bring out this option.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:20 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 614 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowRain
But let's look at the bigger picture. When you offer a program like this...and run it long enough, you begin to get a picture of what people really want. Over time you can alter your base production models accordingly...
Good point. In addition to driving parts/accessory sales, the program will also provide valuable market data and reveal design trends. Harley likely created the Street Glide by observing what owners were doing with the Electra Glide Standard.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:04 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

I've said it many times in here for 4yrs since we bought ours new in 07 that it would be nice to order the mods on the bike from the factory, just like we can do on cagers... and just pay the difference between the stock and upgrade price.....

maybe someone was listening...

Old 01-06-2011, 06:13 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
Harley was not the inventor of the v-twin, and many companys produced v-twins before 1940. I love how everyone always says "they're copying Harley!" when in fact, Harley had to copy to get what everyone claims is being copied.
Interesting to have Schumacher quoting another post that mentions the VMAX and a four cylinder V-Twin, and then talk about copying.

Google the Harley Nova project....It was on the drawing board long before the VMax hit the streets, and was shelved in lieu of the EVO engine. There was only so much money to develop a new platform, and Harley went with the EVO instead of the NOVA.

After years of making overhead cam engines, Yamaha now makes push rod V-Twins....

Pic attached of the Harley NOVA

Attached Thumbnails Harley to start Factory Custom Order Program-harley_nova.jpg  
Old 01-06-2011, 06:16 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

The way I'm reading the limited details on the link I've posted, Harley will have their customers go to the dealer, pick out their choice of things like handlebars, seats, etc, and then order out a bike equipped the way the customer wants it.

In less than four weeks we'll know the answer. This is almost as exciting as speculating on the new model release in August !

Old 01-06-2011, 06:16 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
Interesting to have Schumacher quoting another post that mentions the VMAX and a four cylinder V-Twin, and then talk about copying.

Google the Harley Nova project....It was on the drawing board long before the VMax hit the streets, and was shelved in lieu of the EVO engine. There was only so much money to develop a new platform, and Harley went with the EVO instead of the NOVA.

After years of making overhead cam engines, Yamaha now makes push rod V-Twins....

Pic attached of the Harley NOVA
I know all about the Nova. I said Harley took the look of a Vmax and applied it to the Vrod.
and how many Nova's did they sell exactly?

I worked at a Harley dealership and am hoping to work at another now (applied yesterday) so don't be hatin. we're here to have fun

Last edited by schumacher; 01-06-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:30 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by schumacher
I know all about the Nova. I said Harley took the look of a Vmax and applied it to the Vrod.
and how many Nova's did they sell exactly?

I worked at a Harley dealership and am hoping to work at another now (applied yesterday) so don't be hatin. we're here to have fun
LOL, Schumacher, I'm one of the few on here that happen to like the Victorys..., and we all know the answer to the sales question, but we did get the EVO.

But I fail to see how you could compare a V4 upright steet rocket VMax for a low slung V-Twin VRod and see any similarities at all.

Attached Thumbnails Harley to start Factory Custom Order Program-vmax.jpg   Harley to start Factory Custom Order Program-vrod.jpg  
Old 01-06-2011, 06:34 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I dunno......they just look like Vmax's to me

Quick Reply: Harley to start Factory Custom Order Program